Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused A Coil replacement gone wrong, help!

Last summer my unit was 3lbs low on freon. They told me if it was low again next year that I have a fast leak and that it needs to be repaired right away. Had them check this summer even though it was working perfectly and they said it was 2lbs low and that it was my A Coil in my LENOX C23-41w-1, top mount unit (10 yrs old). They charged me $ to replace it. Now in the peak of the afternoon until about 8 in the evening it is freaking hot in my house. They said that it is normal this time of year with a heat index of 105*, reg temp of 90-95*. Thermostat is set @ 69* but it is 80-85* in my house! No one else I know is experiencing this and I did not have this problem before. They have come back twice and told me there is nothing wrong. The a coil they put in was different than the one they took out. They said that was the only one they could get ahold of. The first time I called to tell them it wasn't cooling they had me go to the basement and feel some pipes. They said the small one should be warm and the bigger one should be cold and swety. They were both room temp and so was the air blowing out of the vents. They have come out twice since the repair and magicly after they come by it works again. How does the heat index effect the temp in an air-conditioned house? What should I do?
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-30-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: price

Get a different company out to check it. May be that the leak wasn't in your coil.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

beenthere,

I appreciate your response. I need to reword my last sentence. What I should have asked is, "Is this normal to experience what I have and what could possibly be the problem?".

Did your A/C have this kind of trouble last year. In this kind of heat, after they recharged it?

If not. Then it could be that its low on charge. And that the leak wasn't in the evap coil. Or, you had more then one leak. Or they may have overcharged it. And it can't restart when it tries to cycles back on when its gets hotter out side.

Next time it gets hot inside. Go out and see if the outdoor unit is actually running.

If it worked this way last year. then its just hotter outside then the A./C can handle.
    Contractor locator map

What coil did they put in and what's the model number of the AC? Wrong size or poor refrigeration practices can cause all kinds of problems. Only knowing the old coil numbers isn't enough info to go on.

I checked outside to see if it was runing the first time this happened after the repair. They have check for leaks and made sure it is charged properly. I'm concerned the coil they used may not be comprable to the one they took out. Is it possible the new coil is not sufficient?

Yes, its possible.

What brand and model number is the new coil, and what brand and model number is teh outdoor unit.
    Contractor locator map

I cannot see it and there is nothing on the reciept. I will call and ask them. Check back when I know. Thanks!

Check back when I know. Thanks.

Can anyone suggest what unit should have been used?

Quote Originally Posted by Ikavelli View Post
    Can anyone suggest what unit should have been used?
    Not without knowing what your outdoor unit is.
    Contractor locator map

The outside unti is a Lennox 10acb36-11p. I have not been able to get the new a coil model number. Last night it was 80* in my house until 10pm but felt more like 95* with the humudity. The HVAC guys that worked on my unit are very nice and they service the entire neighborhood. I hate to be the one to keep calling and complaining but this has to be fixed. I have to make it through Aug still. How should I approach them?

Just call back and explain the house is not cooling well enough. When the tech is there have him check AND WRITE DOWN what the superheat and subcool are and what the charging chart shows the subcool should be. Have him record outdoor temp,return air temp, supply air temp , return air wet bulb temp and the systems BTU output along with pressures. If there's a problem with the coil capacity, freon levels or wrong orifice size that data will show it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast