hvac career choice question?

I have just graduated high school (in canada) and was planning on getting into the HVAC trade. through my high school i was able to succesfully get my gas technician 3 ticket. i was wondering if i am getting into a good career choice. also what is the average salary in this trade for Canada?

also im going back for a semester to take Co-op hopefully in hvac,but plumbing was my second choice.

any answers, tips, advice is appreciated
    thanks

Where in Canada do you live?

Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by jmills1221 View Post
    Ontario
    I'm in the Vancouver area so i'm no help.

i'm from winnipeg and have been in the trade for about 4.5 years, I enjoy the trade alot. and in manitoba the journeyman rate is around 30 per hour.

Work Hard !!

Work Good !!

Live Better !!

Work Union !!

Of course,do your research and choose what will be best for you and your family in the long term.
    Local 234
    Have Gauge$ Will Travel

I'm not near you but I'm sure it's the same there as I have worked all over the U.S, expect to make good money for a few months during the rush of every season and things slowing down as they get on in the season a little more. You will make good money with a good company especially with overtime and incentives. Also you're going to be hot in the summer and coldddd in the winter lol.

EDIT: My main reason why I like this over other career choices is for a few reasons. You don't have to sit in an office all day long, you're on your own alot without your boss over your ass. Driving from place to place is cool too for the most part, days go by quickly.

If your going to study a trade I would advise you to study HVACR or electical over plumbing.

Don't get me wrong, I became a plumber first. I come from a family of plumbers.

In the last 10 years the DIY movement has had a significant impact on the plumbing trade. In this bad economy consumers are doing the work themself or hiring handymen.

If you are a licensed plumber, you can get a job with a plumbing contractor or start your own business later. What I have found is hospitals, large companies and universities don't hire plumbers. They basically figure anyone can fix a leak or unclog a toilet. If they can't they call someone.

If you have hvac or electrical experience it opens doors for better maintnance jobs. Most people have alot of respect for electricity and they won't fool with it. Most are intimidated by large HVAC systems.

Simple question:

How many people do you know that have fixed their own toilet or faucet?

How many people do you know that repaired their own AC system?
    Last edited by belliott; 08-13-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: typo