Smoke detectors tied into system in bldg

Doing a job with 6 new rtus, all have smoke detectors built in already.
    They need to be tied into fire alarm system in bldg.
    The local inspector also wants smoke detector test-reset sw's located in store area.
    I told store owners that is either control co. (which is separate) issue or fire suppression co. thing, not mine.
    I think they may already have them in the store but if not, then what?
    I am looking at it tomorrow again, to make sure.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

the way our contracts usually end up is - We supply and physically install the detector and the alarm co. wires them into the building system. We contact the alarm co. to see if they specify a certain brand or type. (fire-x is no more so that narrow things down)

The Fire Alarm people, or what they are now calling "Life Safety" contractor normally takes it to the unit on my jobs- they basically want dry contacts and specify NO or NC and then want you to direct them as to how to get them at your unit.

I'd say label them at the terminal board and leave them. And tell the owner this is as far as the Licensing board for each trade allows.

I think they would back you up.
    "Iron sharpeneth iron..."

Quote Originally Posted by atmosphere View Post
    The Fire Alarm people, or what they are now calling "Life Safety" contractor normally takes it to the unit on my jobs- they basically want dry contacts and specify NO or NC and then want you to direct them as to how to get them at your unit.

I'd say label them at the terminal board and leave them. And tell the owner this is as far as the Licensing board for each trade allows.

I think they would back you up.
    Sounds about right. Every time we have a unit put in any of the buildings I have worked at the HVAC contractors sets up a set of dry contacts and the alarm company connects the alarm system to them
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Thanks, that was my thinking too. I already told them I don't touch fire systems, ever. Not insured for it and have no idea how they really work.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Easiest would be 6 relays, C,NO,NC (dry contacts). Break the R (if it has one). We call them RIBs, universal Relay In a Box otherwise a universal relay with the right coil voltage would work. That's all I ever had to do. (Some large RTUS already have terminals for this application - check wiring diagram) Oh yeah, make sure to tell the alarm co. to break the R on alarm & make it on OK! Couldn't get it through to 2 co.s I had to work with. Use short sentences & 1 syllable words. Sorry BAS GUYS! MOST of you are great. Remember it's friday!
    From then on it's the alarm Co.'s job.

diceman make sure after alarm wiring is hooked up that panel will not go into alarm when you turn off the line voltage to unit for svc work.had a couple blds like that ,would give panel a trouble alarm whenever power was off to duct detector.it was always a hassle to call alarm co and get the panel reset.still better than hearing sirens and looking over the roof and seeing fire trucks in the parking lot below.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Teacher View Post
    Easiest would be 6 relays, C,NO,NC (dry contacts). Break the R (if it has one). We call them RIBs, universal Relay In a Box otherwise a universal relay with the right coil voltage would work. That's all I ever had to do. (Some large RTUS already have terminals for this application - check wiring diagram) Oh yeah, make sure to tell the alarm co. to break the R on alarm & make it on OK! Couldn't get it through to 2 co.s I had to work with. Use short sentences & 1 syllable words. Sorry BAS GUYS! MOST of you are great. Remember it's friday!
    From then on it's the alarm Co.'s job.
    Our inspectors like to see the low side of the transformer broken before the board and controls..if you break only R in heating the blower will still run till the time in the board runs out.

did they also make you verify airflow to get the occupancy permit? I ran into that awhile back and had to verify pressure drop with a magnehelic through the detector... just curious if any one else had to do similar or if there is another method

the unit shutdown is already wired in from the factory the control fire guys have to wire in there NC contacts to run the unit and break it in a smoke condition.breaking a TR is common and easy for them but keep them away from the larger units in the future they break 115V control circuit within the unit they also kill the CCH during the fall but the compressors are used for cooling...baddabing goes the compressor on a repower from an alarm trip
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY