In our 2500 sqf house in Southern Ontario (near Toronto), I want to install Venmar Hepa 3000 HVAC & air filter system - to be integrated with existing central force-air furnace. It seems to be quite convenient to have both systems in one and with an affordable price.

However when getting a quote from a contractor, he mentioned it may be better to install individual systems (which will almost double the cost):

HVAC: use Lifebreath 155/200 MAX model
    Hepa filtration: use AmairCare 4000 HV model

*** Is it worth it? Any recommendations?

My preference would be Venmar... but please advise any "reservation" about its performance/maintenance factors.

Put an inline air filter at least a Merv 11 on your furnace and forget the rest. The extreme filters do not make your house cleaner. Fresh air and keep the relative humidity below 50%RH gives you the best indoor air quality.

I too am researching which HRV to put in and have a few questions. Have you now installed the HEPA3000 and if so, what do you think?

I'm from Waterloo, ON CAN and our home is ~50 years old and is too tightly sealed. On a REEP evaluation we were told to install an HRV. We have a crawlspace that is gravel and dirt on a 2000 sqft ranch bungalow. It needs to be sealed with plastic and insulated but the REEP evaluator said not to do that until an HRV is installed as the air quality is too poor (apparently a good level is .3 but we have .12 something like that).

We looked at Venmar HEPA 3000 or the non-HEPA from a store and it looks like its simple to install as long as you take into consideration building code and the savings could be significant. But I worry about the quality and value for my money. Although a contractor's fee is quite a bit higher are we getting something that is far superior and worth the money?

On speaking with a few contractors they use Vanee and suggested the Vanee1001 which is the same company as Venmar just a different model. Venmar told me that this model doesn't include HEPA (which is ok since I can put a good filter on the furnace) but it also doesn't have a recirculate feature which I understand is needed for bad weather and high humidity days.

Also, do I need to use the furnace fan all the time or can I install a humidistat and control it automatically? I don't think I have a variable speed furnace and am concerned about the usage being tough on the unit.

Thanks!

Iaq,
    Do yourselve a favor go with the Lifebreath HRV and their TFP 3000 Hepa filter, no need to install seperate from the existing duct system, it can all be tied into your duct work if the contractor doesn't know how or won't look on Lifebreath's web site and find a dealer in your area.
    Doc

Nobody can argue with fresh air. But the high humidity that comes with fresh air during the summer grow will make the inside humidity the same as outside. High indoor humidity grows mold and dust mites. Loading a home with the allergens produced by mold and dust mite cause poor indoor air quality for the entire year. Monitor the indoor humidity during the summer. +60%RH is to be avoided. Dust mites love it and mold grows on cool basement walls and floors. Suggest maintain <50% RH to avoid these problems. Fresh air ventilation (50-75 CFM) plus dehumidification (<50%RH) plus good air filtering (merv 10)- great! Keeping a home <50%RH in a green grass climate with 65^F outdoor dew points, occupants and ventilation requires 50-80 pints of dehumidification per day.