Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tinmann003 Since I am going to be replacing the condensing unit at the time of changeover I want to go with a permanent solution for a gas choice, ie no phaseout date. Thanks for the tip though

FR-12 (416a) runs at a much lower head than 409. Just a little fyi

I would positively go with R-404 and size up to a 1 hp.

Don't forget that you wiii need to flush the mineral oil out of the evap & lineset if you switch to R134 or R404. Thet use polyoester oil. Calgon makes a good product for this called R11X flush.

I have never flushed on close coupled small H.P. units and havent ever had any problems when converting to 134 or 404.

Try R414b(HotShot). You don't need to change out the txv. Really good stuff, I've been using it for five year now. It work great perfect replacement for all the other R12 replacement.

The owner wants to replace the condensing unit due to age. He would rather spend a little extra to get the TXV changed to run on one of the permanent gases ie 134a or 404a. Since the condensing unit is being replaced it seems like the best time to change it over. This guy is one of our best customers, make a suggestion and explain your reasoning behind it and he just says "do what you think is best". He doesn't care what the cost is, he just wants it done right. Always pays at time of service even though they have a net 30 account with us. Man I wish more of my customers were like this

Being from the Iowa, I prefer 404a over 134a because of suction pressure runs higher. extreme cold days with R12 and R134a pressure switches have to be set into vaccuum to keep the units running. Don't like running units that low, especially if a leak on the low side developes. just my thought though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12