Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm

I just finished putting an old R12 walk-in cooler back on line. I had some R12 left and gased it up with that for now, I wanted to get rid of the stuff anyway as I really don't use it anymore. Condensing unit is 15 years old and owner wants to put a new one in about a year from now as he doesn't trust it due to its age. Just wondering which condensing unit to get, should I go with R22 or R134a? If I go with R134a do I need to change the TXV? Personally I am leaning towards R134a due to no phase out for this gas. Just wondering what you guys experience has been with R134a vs R22 in walk-in coolers. Thanks guys you are awesome

Have you considered R404a? Works extremely well in med.temp applications. I prefer that over R134a.

Haven't considered 404a at all for med temp. I don't mind changing the TXV, would I be able to use the same evaporator? I used 404a in their walk-in freezer with excellent results, box holds temp at -20.

As long as the txv was properly sized to begin with, you don't need to change it. You didn't mention tonage, conditions, model number of txv etc. However, if you should go with 404a you will need to change it as well as consider changing the orifice in the refrigerant distributor (if used.), and many other things. Since you would be changing the txv, that's the perfect time to look at and change the orifice (if need be).

Thanks westcoast. I will probably go with the 134a. This unit works great with R12 so 134a should work great too. I don't wanna redesign something thats working good if you know what I mean By the way I do have a model number for the condensing unit and when I went to the copeland website I couldn't seem to find any info on it. The condensing unit is a copeland model # FBAM-A100-CAB-002. Any ideas on how many btus this puppy is. Seems copeland no longer lists their older style model numbers. This thing is about 15 years old. While I'm not new to refrigeration I haven't done a whole lot of commercial stuff till now, are there any good websites or books available that lists older model numbers for compressors and condensing units? Thanks to anyone who can help on this one.

Medium temp? I'd go with 134a.

How about 416-A, lower head pressure than 404.

Originally posted by condenseddave
    Medium temp? I'd go with 134a.
    Ditto. Keep it simple. Unless the owner wants a whole new system use what you have and change the condensing unit to 134a

Thanks guys, I'm definatly going with 134a, any idea on the model number of the condensing unit, I wanna replace it with the same capacity only in a 134a model. This is a copeland with the model #FBAM-A100-CAB-002. Couldn't get any info from copelands website. Probably gonna go with techumseh as my supplier doesn't carry copeland products.

The FBAM-A100-CAB-002 is rated 9810 btu's at +25* evap. 230v/60/1ph. Tecumseh will only have a 404a or R-22 unit avail to match this size/application. Pt# AJA7494ZXDXC (404a)10,200 btu's at +25* And AJA9486EXDXC (R-22) 9500 btu's at +25* both 230v/60/1ph.

Coolprod,

Thanks for the info. I did find a 134a condensing unit made by tecumseh that is rated for 9100 btus at 30* evap. Would this be close enough? My evap runs at about 25*. Or should it be closer to the 10,200?

Originally posted by jdenyer
    Coolprod,

Thanks for the info. I did find a 134a condensing unit made by tecumseh that is rated for 9100 btus at 30* evap. Would this be close enough? My evap runs at about 25*. Or should it be closer to the 10,200?
    Take inconcideration what condition the box is in,how old, door seals, etc. Where the unit will be sitting, roof, dog house, etc(ambient temp). Where the box is sitting (exposure to outdoor elements) and how much they are in it (heavy usage) ?? Then decide which one to use.

A good drop in for R12 is 409a, we use this alot in older R12 systems. I should not say drop in ,because the system needs to be recovered and then charged. The biggest thing is the cost,409 is cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast