Carrier vs Goodman furnace

I am living in Milwaukee in a 1220 sq. ft. single story house built in 1984. I'm looking to replace the Armstrong single-stage 60,000 BTU gas furnace that is original to the house. I've got my bids narrowed down to two two-stage variable furnaces. The first is the Carrier 58UVB Performance 60,000 BTU furnace. The second is the Energi Air (Goodman) GMV95070 70,000 BTU furnace. As far as I can tell, the specs between these two furnaces are similar, the pricing is similar, the warranties are similar, and both qualify for energy tax rebates. I'm sure both contractors would do a good job, though the Goodman rep explained what the workers would be doing much better, including removing a vent from the the bottom of the return duct in the basement and putting in a radius bottom boot around the electronic air filter. I don't know how much efficiency that modification would really add, nor had I heard of Energi Air as being a part of Goodman. Has anyone used, installed, or otherwise found out any good/bad things about these two furnaces? I would really appreciate any and all advice, as this is the first furnace I've had to replace. Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by microgirl View Post
    I am living in Milwaukee in a 1220 sq. ft. single story house built in 1984. I'm looking to replace the Armstrong single-stage 60,000 BTU gas furnace that is original to the house. I've got my bids narrowed down to two two-stage variable furnaces. The first is the Carrier 58UVB Performance 60,000 BTU furnace. The second is the Energi Air (Goodman) GMV95070 70,000 BTU furnace. As far as I can tell, the specs between these two furnaces are similar, the pricing is similar, the warranties are similar, and both qualify for energy tax rebates. I'm sure both contractors would do a good job, though the Goodman rep explained what the workers would be doing much better, including removing a vent from the the bottom of the return duct in the basement and putting in a radius bottom boot around the electronic air filter. I don't know how much efficiency that modification would really add, nor had I heard of Energi Air as being a part of Goodman. Has anyone used, installed, or otherwise found out any good/bad things about these two furnaces? I would really appreciate any and all advice, as this is the first furnace I've had to replace. Thank you very much!

It's all about the install!! Being that the Goodman guys are talking about the quality of the install and how they will improve the ductwork, that would be my choice.

Get the gmvc - with the communicating stat. That size house you can probably get away with the 45,000/30,000 btu furnace. You'll be much happier if you get the size right.

(Or get the mvc060 infinity - 3 stages and better range.)
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

The gmv needs to move a minimum of 1100 CFM (your current unit may move 800 or less) on high, so expect it to be noisy.

Assuming that the existing furnace is conventional or mid efficiency, the output is no higher than 48k, pretty close to what the 45k version puts out. (70k will never hit high in your application)
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Since both are so close I would ask for referances and then I would call them.You want 2-5 year old customers with simuliar equipment,at least equipment from the same manufacterer.
    I would also engage each in a conversation on just how step by step any warranty work would transpire.I.E. do0 you pay for everything and then get reimbursed or is everything automatic and do warranty calls get 24 hour service or just daytime hours service. If you are erver unhappy with the way things are going ask for a phone number of the wholesaler or manufacterer that you can use.Things like that.

Good advice.

Make sure they are using manual J calc for sizing. 60000 sounds way oversized for 1200 sq ft. house from 1984. You will be way, way happier with the correct size furnace.

Make sure they are going to install a 2 stage stat so you get the full benefit from the 2 stage furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    You will be way, way happier with the correct size furnace.

Make sure they are going to install a 2 stage stat so you get the full benefit from the 2 stage furnace.
    ...and, if you get a communicating furnace get the communicating stat. It is "the full benefit of the 2 stage" thermostat CUBED.

Goodman GMVC and Carrier Infinity are both communicating.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.