Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moonlighting

Normally I don't do it but since this was for close friends 15' to the south, I did!

Noisy 60% furnace, 8 SEER leaking A/C, time to do something. But what? With our gas prices, 90% furnace. But 12 SEER A/C? Nope, payback of $20 per year isn't worth it. For same premium as 12 SEER A/C over 10 SEER A/C, I can install a 10 SEER heat pump and save them $200 a year. So that's what we did!

The old furnace, wall behind it is master bedroom.

The old A/C, 2 ton and a hair undersized. All the houses in our neighborhood are 2 ton regardless if tiny like mine or 2 story like this one! Note the coil damage from Tom's dog's chain years ago...

The new 93% AFUE furnace. Donna says much quieter inside. Dedicated low speed constant fan tap helps too. Vented out the side wall due to living area above. In the metal above the furnace is a slot for a 5" media. We're using the Honeywell F200 media, MERV 11.

The 10 SEER heat pump. Went to 2.5 ton which is really about 2 1/3 ton these days. Put a sound blanket on the scroll, can't hear it. Just hear the fan. Note the UFO on the wall, used A-S/Trane's BAYVENT200 kit. System is controlled by Vision Pro 8000 stat which is our dual fuel kit. Outdoor thermistor is hiding behind the unit.

Nice looking install...even a fresh pad and disconnect. Nice job.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Nice looking job Loonie. But one question. Did you get it at below wholesale prices?
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

looks nice, and i'm a big rheem fan....what's up with the mini-stilts under the condenser????
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Didn't ask for special pricing, just our usual.

Used only 3" pump-ups for lower profile. Since this is dual-fuel, will turn off above freezing so just needed a little above the pad for defrost drainage. The wind pretty much keeps that area snow free anyway. Blows it around and into my driveway

Verry Nice! Just erks me to see all those finger prints on that nice metal work. Gotta bust out the Fantastic

Nice job. Is this house on a slab? Where does the supply duct go? I don't see setups like that around here. I think the h2o heater may need a new t&p valve. You should get out of the office more often.
    Not here for a long time, just a good time

XXXXXX

I only use 3" risers. That's all we need here, unless of course we get a foot of snow! For some reason 6" pump-ups look silly for some reason.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

House is on a crawl. That round pipe on the right comes off the supply plenum and goes to the loft upstairs.

He's on borrowed time with the WH. Mine split open 2 years ago spraying all over the garage

That's just plum purdy!...LOL Nice job John!

I just replaced one of those ruud's (9 yrs old condenser coil rotted out, fins and tubing). Replaced it with a trusty choo choo 12 seer and variable speed.
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

spanky looking install, Loonie... a bit curious though... the chimney that the HWT vents into is gravity, and there is no tee, just elbows... is that ok in the codes in your end of the globe? Gotta have a tee so condensate doesn't pour back into/onto heat exchangers, even in HWT's here in Penguin country.

Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

No Tees in the flue pipe. Hadn't heard of that one around here. Nobody does it. Is that in a particular code book?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast