Bush Administration Seriously Delinquent on Dam Security

As the Bush administration signaled when it banned tourists and posted guards in the first nervous days following the attacks of September 11, 2001, major dams such as Grand Coulee and Hoover can be instruments of mass destruction if they fail.
    Since this grand symbolic gesture, however, the Bush team has dropped the ball on safeguarding thousands of high-hazard dams across the country--dams which are vulnerable to mundane failures due to lack of inspection and regulation, as well as to destruction at the hands of terrorists.
    As the catastrophic 1889 flood in Johnstown, Pennsylvania demonstrated, a dam failure can unleash destruction rivaling the collapse of the twin towers at the World Trade Center. The death toll in Johnstown exceeded 2,200.

The Bush administration failure on dam security also includes insufficient funding for states, which inspect and regulate 95 percent of the nation's 80,000 dams, and inadequate federal oversight under the Congressionally mandated National Dam Safety Program (NDSP) by the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA).
    This law requires that FEMA, now part of the Department of Homeland Security, provide Congress with progress reports every two years. The NDSP report due last year has yet to appear.
    As of early 2003 (the most recent filing), at least 40 percent of the nation's most hazardous dams-- located above populated areas which would be flooded in a dam failure-- had not prepared the required Emergency Action Plan (EAP). As the FEMA website notes: "With an increased risk of terrorism against our infrastructure, EAP's are even more critical than ever, and provide an additional measure of protection for downstream residents and dam owners."

What's That Funk ???

It's crap coming out of your keyboard

Check it out...dhanna doesn't know a keyboard from a monitor.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

It is sad that we can't protect every possible asset, the cost are enormous.
    But, isn't you that complains about the deficit?, yet complains that we aren't spending enough.
    Apparently nothing will suit you as long as you have soemthing to cry about.

It's a fact that the terrorist, Bin-Laden among others, knows that we as a open society will have to spend large sums of money to aggressivly protect ourselves, and they also know that some Americans will not stop complaining about it, or the state of our protection.

Hers's an idea John, why don't you send some extra cash to the feds to help the situation along, matter-of-fact, why not just give up one check a month to help with the dam security issue.

Originally posted by dhanna
    It's crap coming out of your keyboard
    You really shouldn't talk about Funky John like that !

You forgot to mention Haliburton.

I shouldn't have to remind you good liberals about the talking points.

Originally posted by bobby7388
    It is sad that we can't protect every possible asset, the cost are enormous.
    But, isn't you that complains about the deficit?, yet complains that we aren't spending enough.
    Apparently nothing will suit you as long as you have soemthing to cry about.

It's a fact that the terrorist, Bin-Laden among others, knows that we as a open society will have to spend large sums of money to aggressivly protect ourselves, and they also know that some Americans will not stop complaining about it, or the state of our protection.

Hers's an idea John, why don't you send some extra cash to the feds to help the situation along, matter-of-fact, why not just give up one check a month to help with the dam security issue.
    Good point, some of you right- wingers are beginning to wise up. Bush can't protect us from the terrorist so our kid’s are dying and he's just wasting our tax dollars, that's what I’ve said all along.

I've heard of being "as dumb as a post" and now I know what is meant by the expression. No one could possibly be as dumb as your post.

Get a ladder, johnnie boy. Maybe Bobby's next post won't go right over your head.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

johnl45,
    When was the last time you crossed the Hoover dam. I've done it pre and post 9-11. I can guarantee security is much tighter now than it ever was before. If security was any tighter a bunch of whiner lib girlie men would be pissin' & moanin" that it takes to long to get across the dam, taking away rights, blah blah blah.
    Jim
    Tucson, Az
    Keeping the Ice Cream Frozen!

Good point market, seeing that i've never had to cross a dam I really have no idea on how security is handled, as I assume john does also.
    But, I do live very near the Robert Moses hydro power project by Niagara Falls and I can assure you John that security is ample.

John; you took the response way out of context to fit into what you want to believe.
    Do you really think that we can secure every possible asset equally? who is blinded by such presumptions?
    It seems to me that you look for each and every hole and try to exploit it for your argument, trying to make yourself believe that you could do a better job if only you were president.
    How do you gauge "protect us from the terrorist"? what do you use to assume that we aren't any safer than before?
    You can't rightly say that you really know if we are any safer or not so you guess that we must not be.
    Yet you respond only to part of the post and leave the spending issue still floating out there knowing that you backed yourself into a corner and have no real answer for it.
    Your an isolationist for sure.
    Why not just vote for Kerry so your taxes go up, spending goes up, security funds get cut, the military is handicapped and the terrorist will see a patsy to slap around as they see fit.