YK motor grease - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: YK motor grease

Thanks again for the info.

Instead of pulling the relief plugs, pull the grease fittings and see what they have been pumping in there.
    Superheat, that must be REALLY hot.

Quote Originally Posted by turbomaster View Post
    Instead of pulling the relief plugs, pull the grease fittings and see what they have been pumping in there.
    Good idea thanks!

How long will it take one of those big reliance motors to eat bearings with the Polyrex i it?

Quote Originally Posted by dave50 View Post
    How long will it take one of those big reliance motors to eat bearings with the Polyrex i it?
    How many dogs will fit in a doghouse?

Nobody can predict failure time on anything that is running under abnormal conditions other than to say that premature failure is imminent. But are the conditions really abnormal? When I replace bearings in one of those, I go back with Polyrex from the beginning. It's not the type of grease used that matters (as long as the specs are correct for the application) so much as the mixture of greases with different characteristics.

Nice. I figured that. Ive got a 1700 ton that the customer brought an electrical contractor in on because it was eating bearings. I think they as on their 4th try now and it ran for a good 2 1/2 hrs before smoke started rolling. Chiller looked good while it was running though. I got stuck in there when they bought a new coupling from us. They are scrambling for answers and the grease was quite a stretch I thought.

Nice. I figured that. Ive got a 1700 ton that the customer brought an electrical contractor in on because it was eating bearings. I think they as on their 4th try now and it ran for a good 2 1/2 hrs before smoke started rolling. Chiller looked good while it was running though. I got stuck in there when they bought a new coupling from us. They are scrambling for answers and the grease was quite a stretch I thought.
    Sounds like they need to stop, regroup, and get someone that knows the motor to do the work. Not all, but the majority of, electrical contractors pull wire and mount devices. They aren't necessarily the folks that should be inside the motor.

From what you say, it sounds as if there are other issues that desperately need to be addressed, but they have to know what questions to ask first.

I think these guys are a dedicated motor shop. Fairly well known around here. I was in there this morning and the customer told me that the motor guys had just now contacted the manufacturer about comparing specs. They've tried blaming the chiller, but I don't see how that's possible. But they've got people on it that I hope know more about it than I do. So who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by turbomaster View Post
    Where I work you don't have to do that. You can see from the grease that's left all over the alimite. I did try pulling the relief plugs on a YT one time, to "flush" old grease out, and that crap didn't work. The fire department is going to love me, when they try to put that fire out. (4160V).

I think these guys are a dedicated motor shop. Fairly well known around here. I was in there this morning and the customer told me that the motor guys had just now contacted the manufacturer about comparing specs. They've tried blaming the chiller, but I don't see how that's possible. But they've got people on it that I hope know more about it than I do. So who knows.
    If they're a motor shop and they're on their 4th set of bearings in as short of a period of time as I take it's been, somebody needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Tell 'em I ain't cheap, but I'm easy!!

I think his has been an issue for a year or so now. I've been trying to stay away from it but got sucked in. Pretty sure this last time. Everything but the outer cases were replace. The motor dude told me it got so hot be whole shaft was black. Pretty bad deal i guess.

update

I pulled the relief plugs and the grease fittings from the motors.

grease fittings - green grease, more than likely Texaco RB

relief plugs - blue polyrex

The factory guys have taken care of these chillers since new, I know most of them and they're all pretty sharp guys. Looks like they didn't know about the service bulletin either and were going by what the O&M manual said to do. I actually found stickers on the motors saying to only use polyeura based grease, but they're painted over with Caribbean Blue.

It's never easy!

We can't all be a rocket scientist.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast