Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: YK motor grease

I know this is an old thread, but....what hppened with the bearing issues?

Quote Originally Posted by IGBTech View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but....what hppened with the bearing issues?
    I'm guessin you're talking to me? They finally got it resolved. Turns out they were talking to the motor manufacturer and that's where the bearing specs were coming from. They finally put a call in to York and they gave them a spec for a looser bearing. Been running ever since. Some of you more experienced guys can chime in, but I'm pretty sure there are different classes of bearings with different speed ratings. The faster speed the looser the bearing to take up for heat expansion? Maybe?

The bearing type used in the motor is stamped on the nameplate. I've changed a bunch of them and bought a standard across-the-counter bearing per the type stated and never had a problem. The only thing that's "loose" would be that the rear bearing floats with the expansion of the rotor. If that float is missing due to improper machine work on the bearing housing during repair, then you will most definitely have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    The bearing type used in the motor is stamped on the nameplate. I've changed a bunch of them and bought a standard across-the-counter bearing per the type stated and never had a problem. The only thing that's "loose" would be that the rear bearing floats with the expansion of the rotor. If that float is missing due to improper machine work on the bearing housing during repair, then you will most definitely have problems.
    I've changed a few myself, and had similar results as you. But I've also had some dealings with other types of machinery and found bearings that were made differently. Pretty sure there are speed ratings on most bearings. Somehow those einsteins got ahold of the wrong variety. Don't ask me how. But I was standing next to the chiller the last time it let go and pushed the stop button when the smoke rolled. Then I watched it start up after the bearings were changed. Still running to this day.

Maybe the problem was on the other side of the counter where the bearings were bought?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123