Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    $166 bucks fpr 2 steaks...not a chance
    You are looking at the butcher shop,even so each steak is 38OZ.A single steak in the rest. Is like $40.Going with a customer this week

Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post
    scrogdog; "you want to "rest" your steak for about 10 minutes when you pull them off. Else when you cut in to them you'll lose a lot of that internal moisture to steam and juice run off."

A 10 minute rest equals cold meat. We chow down on ours as soon as it comes off of the grill.
    A little late for a follow-up I know, but I just directed a friend to this topic and wanted to address this.

Remember that cooking meat involves bringing it to the proper internal temperature. Just because you remove the meat from the cooking environment does not mean that its internal temperature immediately plummets down to the point where it stops cooking itself without outside aid.

This technique is for perfectionists, even I'll admit that, and takes some practice to get right. The idea is that you bring it off slightly underdone and then it finishes while "resting". I forgot to mention that when you use this technique that you should cover the meat with foil.

This method is also particularly effective when grilling fish. It is even more important that it is not overcooked than with steaks.

The experience part is all about exactly when to pull off and put in rest mode so that it finishes just how you like it.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    A little late for a follow-up I know, but I just directed a friend to this topic and wanted to address this.

Remember that cooking meat involves bringing it to the proper internal temperature. Just because you remove the meat from the cooking environment does not mean that its internal temperature immediately plummets down to the point where it stops cooking itself without outside aid.

This technique is for perfectionists, even I'll admit that, and takes some practice to get right. The idea is that you bring it off slightly underdone and then it finishes while "resting". I forgot to mention that when you use this technique that you should cover the meat with foil.

This method is also particularly effective when grilling fish. It is even more important that it is not overcooked than with steaks.

The experience part is all about exactly when to pull off and put in rest mode so that it finishes just how you like it.
    It's just that it looks and smells sooooooo delicious, and there is so much drool rolling off of my chin and well..............
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Senior Tech-

I kinda felt the same way but I'm too new here to voice my opinion yet lol! But Its possible Voleye is using a tough cut to begin with like a london broil or skirt steak - then I would stab it a bit and marinate it for a long time anyway. Good cuts of steak I just salt/pepper liberally, cook hot and fast, then let them sit covered by foil for a couple minutes minimum before you dig in.

Ya ever cook red meat, start eating it right away then end up with a plate of juice? If you let it sit a few minutes before you start, the juices will not only help cook a bit, but they'll absorb back in a little for a tender juicy bite time after time.

I am new to HVAC but definitely a 'seasoned' griller lol. I have 2 charcoal grills and a gas grill currently... and I want to add a large smoker to the pile. Alll told I'd estimate my total cooking surface at over 2000 sq. in. of searing goodness between the three I grill on the average at least 4 days a week (in the summer it's usually 6) and will grill in snow and rain too- its why grills have lids right?

my method is a bit different...

fist off just olive oil and kosher salt on it.
    using a webber i cook it for 4-5 min a side OFF the hot portion. Searing it does not SEAL in juices..it actually damages the flesh and you lose more juices.
    after 4 min a side on the low heat i then do 4 min a side directly over the coals. Remove from the grill and let it rest for 5 min. Its still hot and pink on the inside.
    If you cant wait 5 min and are scarfing your steak then you need to find a better quality meat. Good steak should be chewed and enjoyed the taste not just the texture.
    Grocery and box store steaks are EVIL. Find a butcher you know gets full sides of beef and not portions in a box.

Some day i will have a special enough occasion to sit down for a dinner here St. Elmo's

Yellow- I have seen this method mentioned before and now I want to try it- so you heat indirectly first then finish off on higher heat? I'm game and will definitely try it maybe this weekend! I agree about grocery store steaks- we have a one of a kind place nearby called aptly, "The meat store" and they sure sell better cuts of meat- but there aren't really any good butchers too local. I'd buy my own cow but unfortunately you can't just go out and cut what you need off it like a tomato plant, so I'd have to buy a big freezer too!

Both sides get: EVOO , kosher salt , white pepper and cayenne pepper.

Prior to cooking put some evoo on grill, then heat to 500 degrees.

Place steak at 10 o'clock and leave it for 5 minuets, then turn it to 2 o'clock for 5 minuets, this will get you the checkerboard pattern and be your presentation side which you serve up.

Then flip the steak and repeat but only for 3 minuets and you should get a perfectly medium cooked steak.

Do you all know how to check you meets internal temperature on your hands?

A good chef knows this..

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/the...eness_of_meat/
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Yep! Pad of thumb on palm and touch thumb to each finger separately- Index is rare, middle is med rare, ring is medium, pinky is well. No self-respecting steak eater ever passes the middle finger (uh.. that sounds odd lol)

my opinion for cooking steak

I do not bother with any cuts other than NY Strip or Ribeye I find that these are the best for the way I cook steaks and I have never had a disapionted person and they always come back for more. I always mariate my steaks in a very basic mixture of the following: make 6 1 1/2 inches steaks

I buy 2 large bottles of italian dressing and use them both
    I add freash garlic
    Canadian Steak seasoning
    Red wine
    a cup of Mango or there citrus juice

I put everything in a large pickel jar and mix it well then add the steaks to the mix and I vacuum the air out with a food saver
    I lay the Jar in the Refrigerator and turn it every 15 minutes after 2 hours I grill over on charcoal about 5 minutes then flip and cook till the inturnal temp is 160 degress this provides a medium cook steak that has rocked everones world I have served it to in the last 20 years and believe me I have cooked alot of them Try it I no you will love it.
    Life is to short to sweat the little thing in life!

Lol, wrong forum.

First it's important to do a proper load calculation on the coals

I use kosher salt and black pepper...sometimes a light amount of Strawberry's Steak Shake...with olive oil coated.

I use a gas Grill

Get it on high heat, let warm up for 5 minutes.

3 minutes, flip it and another 3 (This locks in the juices)

5 minutes, flip it and another 5

It should be done...let rest at room temp for about 10 minutes.

The kosher salt is supposedly better of bringing out the enzymes (juices) in the meat closer to the edge of the crust making it tender all the way through.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Roast or London broil , let rest to lock in juices.

Steaks eat hot off the grill!!

No time to waste!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobsbigbelly View Post
    The porterhouse is a difficult steak to grill as fillet and new york cook differently. I'm usually disappointed because the result is over cooked fillet and perfect new york or vice versa. I have had success in the past by shielding the fillet somewhat or positioning it in low heat while the new york side gets full heat but that's too much monkeying around for me.
    Also,at the point where the fillet starts and gets large is more and more to the end of the loin. This means
    The NY part is the end cut

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast