Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Any beef.

First I sprinkle Adolf's meat tenderizer on the meat. Poke it with a fork. Then marinate it in a little lemon juice for a hour or so. Cook it on a gas grill or the George Forman in the dead of winter.

Well I use my TEC infrared grill, it glows at about 1600 degrees. I put the steak on for about 2 minutes on each side and then turn the grill down to medium and cook a few more minutes. It comes out burned and crisp on the outside and very rare on the inside -- the perfect steak!

Get the grill as hot as you can.
    Sear the steak. 3-5 min per side depending on how done you like it.
    Like HVAC work experiance and a good thermometer helps a lot.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Here in Arizona we use chunks of mesquite wood thats well seasoned and light a bed of hot coals to grill those steaks at 300 - 400 degrees F 12- 16 inches from the coal bed for the best steak you have ever eaten!!

Cooking your steak is always a two step process be it on the grill or in the house. Sear first (open flame outside; pan sear inside) and then remove the steak from the flame or pan. Now put them off to the side on your grill or in the oven indoors to bring to the proper internal temperature.

Use the poke method to determine when done. Press the middle, if it doesn't spring back it's not done. If it springs back a bit, it's medium rare. The more bouncy and firm it becomes back the more well done it is. With practice, you'll know exactly when to pull them off.

Never ever poke your steaks with a fork and only turn them with tongs or a spatula. Both searing and not poking with a fork seek to trap the juices inside, as well as creating a desirable outside texture. Similarly, you want to "rest" your steak for about 10 minutes when you pull them off. Else when you cut in to them you'll lose a lot of that internal moisture to steam and juice run off.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by boom View Post
    Mesquite is always the way to go! you can taste that mesquite flavor all the way to the bone!
    There was a place in Scottsdale, Arizona my parents took me 45 years ago where they specialized cooking the steaks/fish over a mesqite wood fire.

I can still, to this day, get hungry thinking about that place.

Thanks for the picture, yummy!!!!!!!!!!

There is blasphemy in this thread and it needs to be edited and closed at once.

Blasphemy

Quote Originally Posted by Frostie View Post
    There is blasphemy in this thread and it needs to be edited and closed at once.
    scrogdog; "you want to "rest" your steak for about 10 minutes when you pull them off. Else when you cut in to them you'll lose a lot of that internal moisture to steam and juice run off."

A 10 minute rest equals cold meat. We chow down on ours as soon as it comes off of the grill.
    Last edited by ACFIXR; 10-23-2010 at 10:45 AM. Reason: pasted too much
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post
    scrogdog; "you want to "rest" your steak for about 10 minutes when you pull them off. Else when you cut in to them you'll lose a lot of that internal moisture to steam and juice run off."

A 10 minute rest equals cold meat. We chow down on ours as soon as it comes off of the grill.
    I agree.

But the rest of the advice is good. I am applying that with what I already have and am getting good results.

The poke test is helpful, but the initial searing is getting me better results.

Cooking your steak is always a two step process be it on the grill or in the house. Sear first (open flame outside; pan sear inside) and then remove the steak from the flame or pan. Now put them off to the side on your grill or in the oven indoors to bring to the proper internal temperature.

Use the poke method to determine when done. Press the middle, if it doesn't spring back it's not done. If it springs back a bit, it's medium rare. The more bouncy and firm it becomes back the more well done it is. With practice, you'll know exactly when to pull them off.

Never ever poke your steaks with a fork and only turn them with tongs or a spatula. Both searing and not poking with a fork seek to trap the juices inside, as well as creating a desirable outside texture.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

The porterhouse is a difficult steak to grill as fillet and new york cook differently. I'm usually disappointed because the result is over cooked fillet and perfect new york or vice versa. I have had success in the past by shielding the fillet somewhat or positioning it in low heat while the new york side gets full heat but that's too much monkeying around for me.

Some of this must depend upon the grill you have. No kidding. That makes a big difference. My new one is the style that has a 3 gallon can attached to the lower side of a horizontal 15 gallon can. I am having lots of trouble trying to figure out how to cook on it, I was gonna post a Q/A here but I am stubbornly figuring it out the hard way. It is one hell of a jump from a hibachi grill. Or my previous grill that was a vertical can maybe 25 gallons worth. Every grill is going to take a little different tact to get a good steak. To some degree, I think we just have to practice. But you have to have some basic pointers, I think scrogg provided that.

Picking your meat is pretty important. You want to see some fat in it, not on it, but distributed within it. When I was younger and studying refrigeration I got side-tracked on the meat market. There are huge differences in the grades of meat choice/prime I forget the details, but you got to pick good meat to start with. I recently tried grilling some low-quality meat, results were low-quality. Perhaps it was my method, but I think it was the meat.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Take them here best steak house in the world http://www.peterluger.com/ourporsteak.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    Take them here best steak house in the world http://www.peterluger.com/ourporsteak.cfm
    $166 bucks fpr 2 steaks...not a chance

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast