+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW DO YOU GRILL T-BONES PROPERLY ?

Post Likes

Exclamation HOW DO YOU GRILL T-BONES PROPERLY ?

Guys, I have a package of expensive T-Bones (a.k.a. porterhouse I think?) and I don't want to mess them up on the grill. Everytime I try to BBQ something I screw it up - Help!

Post Likes
    I like my steak rare. I usually use my gas grill for steaks for better temp. control.

I get the grill up to 425°-450°F and then clean the grate and apply olive oil with a paper towel using tongs. Close the lid for a couple minutes to get the grate hot again and throw the steaks on for about 4 minutes on one side. After 4 minutes open the lid and flip. 4 minutes later take them off.

If you like them a little less bloody turn them 90° for a few minutes after the second flip. That'll give you the cross-hatch people like too.

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

Post Likes
    I should add that I never season T-bones or Porterhouse or any other highly marbled cut of beef with anything but salt and pepper. No need IMHO.

BTW, a porterhouse steak is a different cut than a T-bone. I like them both, but if I have the money a porterhouse will always get my attention first.

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

Post Likes
    A nice rub of garlic and lemon pepper.

Charcoal grill, let charcoal get good and gray.

3 minutes on each side to sear then move to side out of direct heat, put lid on grill.

About 15 minutes per side for medium.

You will have 2 of the juiciest, best steaks you ever ate!

Post Likes
    I like mine medium well. Not cooked over the fire, off to the side. For thicker cuts it takes time to get them cooked.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    olive oil, see salt and pepper

4-5 min each side opposite side of heat
    4-5 min each side on top of heat
    let rest 5 min

Post Likes

Wink T-BONE V. PORTERHOUSE

To: Fabrk8r, Senior Tech, Tool-Slinger, and yellowirenut:

I'll try to follow your advice and apply your good information. Sorry I don't have a third, fourth, fifth, and sixth steak for each of you. maybe sometime in the future ...

Sheila

Post Likes

over mesquite

This is the only way to grill steaks.......over mesquite coals.
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    I always use black pepper. For the MW done I generally also toss on a little Worcestershire somewhere in the process too.

A buddy of mine used to cook them direct on the fire for a few minutes or less to "seal the juices" he said. then put them on the side to finish. He made good steaks.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post

This is the only way to grill steaks.......over mesquite coals.
    Mesquite is always the way to go! you can taste that mesquite flavor all the way to the bone!

Post Likes
    I leave grill meat up to my wife. She's disciplined.
    Olive oil, salt, pepper.
    For say 1 1/2 thick, grill on high 3 min, crisscross to make grill marks another 3 min and same for the other side. This should give you a med rare piece.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    I like to poke a fork into the steaks several times. Then cover the bottom of a pan with Jack Daniels. Let them sit in the fridge for 30 minutes and flip them for another 30 minutes. Fire the propane grill and get it up to around 300 to 350.

Lay the steaks on the grill and put a nice thick slice of bacon on top of each steak as they cook. I like mine medium, my wife likes hers burnt. Flip them every couple minutes. I cut them open to check to see if hers is cooked enough. Mine is done when I am hungry.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by voleye View Post
    I like to poke a fork into the steaks several times. Then cover the bottom of a pan with Jack Daniels. Let them sit in the fridge for 30 minutes and flip them for another 30 minutes. Fire the propane grill and get it up to around 300 to 350.

Lay the steaks on the grill and put a nice thick slice of bacon on top of each steak as they cook. I like mine medium, my wife likes hers burnt. Flip them every couple minutes. I cut them open to check to see if hers is cooked enough. Mine is done when I am hungry.
    Oh my...you murder the steak with a fork and then waste good sipping whiskey

Post Likes
    Any beef.

First I sprinkle Adolf's meat tenderizer on the meat. Poke it with a fork. Then marinate it in a little lemon juice for a hour or so. Cook it on a gas grill or the George Forman in the dead of winter.

Post Likes
    Well I use my TEC infrared grill, it glows at about 1600 degrees. I put the steak on for about 2 minutes on each side and then turn the grill down to medium and cook a few more minutes. It comes out burned and crisp on the outside and very rare on the inside -- the perfect steak!

Post Likes
    Get the grill as hot as you can.
    Sear the steak. 3-5 min per side depending on how done you like it.
    Like HVAC work experiance and a good thermometer helps a lot.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Here in Arizona we use chunks of mesquite wood thats well seasoned and light a bed of hot coals to grill those steaks at 300 - 400 degrees F 12- 16 inches from the coal bed for the best steak you have ever eaten!!

Post Likes
    Cooking your steak is always a two step process be it on the grill or in the house. Sear first (open flame outside; pan sear inside) and then remove the steak from the flame or pan. Now put them off to the side on your grill or in the oven indoors to bring to the proper internal temperature.

Use the poke method to determine when done. Press the middle, if it doesn't spring back it's not done. If it springs back a bit, it's medium rare. The more bouncy and firm it becomes back the more well done it is. With practice, you'll know exactly when to pull them off.

Never ever poke your steaks with a fork and only turn them with tongs or a spatula. Both searing and not poking with a fork seek to trap the juices inside, as well as creating a desirable outside texture. Similarly, you want to "rest" your steak for about 10 minutes when you pull them off. Else when you cut in to them you'll lose a lot of that internal moisture to steam and juice run off.
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." ― Bertrand Russell

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by boom View Post
    Mesquite is always the way to go! you can taste that mesquite flavor all the way to the bone!
    There was a place in Scottsdale, Arizona my parents took me 45 years ago where they specialized cooking the steaks/fish over a mesqite wood fire.

I can still, to this day, get hungry thinking about that place.

Thanks for the picture, yummy!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    There is blasphemy in this thread and it needs to be edited and closed at once.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in