Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey guys couple questions from a green horn, went on a call for a portable beverage cooler, old one, owner said they loaded it up with beer and it ran for a while then stopped. I plugged it in,compressor did not start. This comp has an external overload, I have continuity across the overload terminals. I pulled the relay off the pecker head, and attached a test cord. Black to run , white to common, green to ground, also tried white to common, black to start, green to ground I applied voltage comp would not start. I checked continuity from each terminal to ground, zero continuity on all three. I checked continuity from terminal to terminal and there is continuity. OHM readings c-s= 2 ohm, c-r= 12 ohm, s-r= 13 ohm . I need help please?

Also is my test cord procedure correct?

[Edited by flangehead on 09-10-2004 at 06:26 AM]

test cord should have momentary contact switch, if none then you be the monentary contact
    ex: with your Black, green, white
    white to RUN
    black to COMMON
    green to START - momentary contact

as for compressor, if it don't start CHECK winding resistance against mfr specs - if it don't match
    it is bad

If the motor ohms out ok you could have a bad start relay, or the compressor could be locked up, bad start cap if one exists. Does it even try to start? Does it draw LRA and pop out on overload? Use a Megaohmmeter to test for shorts to ground, a megaohmmeter will tell you the condition of the motor winding insulation and is a far better test for shorts in a compressor motor than a simple continuity test. Hope this helps

Hey rocket, I checked my books on the test cord procedure, and what I need is a test cord with a dual hot lead, a neutral and ground. You suggested using the ground lead but I don't see how this would work

Ritchie has a start test cord avialable
    or you can make one

C ---------------------------C
    R -----------------|---------R
    ...................|---------S

split R to make S and R then put a momentary contact switch in S

The relay should never, ever touch the peckerhead. That's probably what was wrong.

In lieu of a test cord, verify line voltage, change the relay, start cap and overload, (even if it reads continuity------trust me on this one.) and try to start it. If it doesn't, well, it's f*cked.

Hmm

Thanks dave, although kind of puzzled about the relay not suppose to be touching the peckerhead? relay plugs right on to the peckerhead.

Must be a little peckerhead, then.

An old beer meister with a bad comp??
    Ya can get a whole new, decent one for about $850.
    Includes tap set up and connections for co2 tank.
    United refrig.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Talking

Hey Dave, eat sh@!T.

Originally posted by flangehead
    Hey Dave, eat sh@!T.
    Must be painfully tiny!!!!

I usually carry a Supco 3 in 1 hard start kit for small crap such as this. It comes with instructions.
    Make sure compressor has cooled off for at least a couple of hours before you try it. If it starts & runs compressor you could leave it in place. If it does'nt start the compressor, you need to have an amp clamp to see what the current draw is compared to the LRA rating of the compressor.

Good luck,
    Mardoman

Thumbs up

Thanks partner, I did pick up the supco 3 in 1, did'nt get a chance to try it, customer never got back to me. next time. Happy trails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast