Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Now available at LOWES!!.......

I haven't been inside a Lowes in a while.... As I'm walking through the plumbing section I see CSST/Pro-flex.
    What makes it even better they have a training manual (just like Wardflex and Gas-tite) that you can purchase for $1.98(optional of course).... And yes you can mail in the postcard so you can get your certification.
    I'm sorry but this s**t doesn't belong there.

I know its just as easy to get a Gas-tite or Wardflex certification. But at least most of these supply houses are requiring one to work for a contractor or be a contractor. Also they do usually ask for the certification when purchasing CSST.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Any fool can know. The point is to understand. Albert Einstein

And in the land of lawsuits too.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

this won't end well...

I just saw that at the local Menards as well; sad, more money for the lawyers.

WTF......

I am not agreeing with the sale of this stuff to the public, but certification or contractor access does not guarantee knowledge.

I may have posted this story here before;

I have a uniform and work for a large, well know company in my area.

I had finished a job and went into a local fast food place to cool off and get some water to refill my jug.

In the parking lot was a beat up pick up with junk/sh!t flung in the back. Inside were 2 guys, Bubba and Bubba Jr.

They get up to leave and one of them comes over and gets it out that they are running Trac pipe/CSST, but cannot get it to stop leaking. They ask if I know how to use/assemble the stuff and I said I had used it a couple times.

Turns out that they were trying to put the split ring and the nut OVER the plastic coating. I explained that was not the way that I was taught to do it and told them my learned procedure.

As the guy was leaving, looking a bit dejected, he said that they might finally be able to get the gas back on to the customer after 3 days of fighting this.

so, most people will fall into the " going to f@*k it up " category, with some surpassing them and going into the " I save some money doing it myself, but blew up my (name structure here) " category. Of course a slim few will do all that is required and do a fine job.

i don't like the idea of csst being sold to the public, but i guess if it is happening pro-flex should be the one. it is fool proof as long as it is put together in the correct order. it's just an o-ring. i am dissapointed because i use mostly pro-flex. maybe im just alittle over zeles, but i like being able to use products that ho's cant get ahold of. i wonder what the price differance is?

I've seen this at Mendards, and I was thinking the wrong person gets ahold of this.. oh boy..

Home Depot don't have this.

strange..i NEED to show my cert card to buy it at the supply house...
    guess the big boxes dont require certs ????

There was a thread about this subject on another forum back in May and the pipe fitters there were not happy about it either.

From what was posted on that site according to the manufacture of the pipe is a DYI is allowed to buy the fittings but if they go to buy the pipe a flag is suppose to come up on the till prompting the cashier to ask for a certificate. Not sure what good the fittings are without the pipe.

Apparently 90% of all retail sales are to pros according to the manufacture's spokesperson.

It's just like stringing coax isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post
    There was a thread about this subject on another forum back in May and the pipe fitters there were not happy about it either.

From what was posted on that site according to the manufacture of the pipe is a DYI is allowed to buy the fittings but if they go to buy the pipe a flag is suppose to come up on the till prompting the cashier to ask for a certificate. Not sure what good the fittings are without the pipe.

Apparently 90% of all retail sales are to pros according to the manufacture's spokesperson.
    next time I am in Lowes I will see if they have it and if they do test the process.

Quote Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post

thats just dumb. you dont take the class to learn how to run the pipe, you take it to learn how to use the fittings. it should be just the opposite. if the ho wants to buy and run the pipe thats fine as long as they can't purchase the fittings. if this happens i will just sell the fittings for $18 each.
    i think that 90% number is just because ho's don't know they can buy this product. it drives me crazy when i start using a good product and then find it at a big box store.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast