How Employable will I be?>>Need Your Opinions!>>

Hybrid View

Question

I just completed a 1 year HVAC course via the internet/ snail mail. I have learned much, but haven't had much in the way of hands-on experience yet.

I will complete the EPA exam in the next couple of months. I am 26, and have a Finance degree from a four year college. I got sick of the finance world and decided on HVAC as a skilled trade. I very much enjoy trouble shooting and working with my hands. I have genuine and sincere interest in this profession. I have a tremendous work ethic and many personal and professional references. Eventually, I would like to get into system sales.

Current work: Currently I earn $10.50/ hour working in a retail/sales environment in Kansas.

Am I going to face massive resistance due to the fact that I lack hands-on training? Assuming I have a EPA cetification and my HVAC course would anybody want to hire me? I'm guessing smaller firms is who I should target?

TIA!,

-Grant

You'll probably meet with the same resistance as most of the other "graduates lacking hands-on time". Getting on with a company will take a combination of persistance, good people skills, and luck.

I must admit I'm confused. With a degree, it would be much easier to break into sales now. I know it seems like "time in trade" would be needed to be successful however, very few of the "big time" sales people I know have any hands-on time at all.

Good luck with your search!
    Linden

Smile

You will be as employable as you prepare yourself to be. It all depends on your intentions. If you are looking to be a true skilled craftsmen in this trade, then you are looking at getting at least 5 years experience under your belt. You will need to start at the bottom with whoever you hire in with. Most likely, because of your age and education, you will be given a shot by most anybody you choose. But remember, actions speak much louder than words. Which means you may have to be a grunt sometimes doing the mundane dirty work. Show somebody you have some real snap at solving problems, and you will move right up the ladder in a year or two. If your intention is to jump into sales in the near future, then you will have to show somebody why you are the one for that particular job. Many folks that do this stuff don't have a great deal of college education. Doesn't mean that they are not smart, it just means that this is a very gut-level hands on trade. Good luck with whatever you decide