Trane,Carrier,and Ruud Heat pump ???

I am having a Heat pump installed here in a few weeks and have some questions.I am a electrical engineer well almost last year of school.I know a lot, but not everything that is for sure.I have estimates from Trane ,Carrier and on Monday the guy from Ruud is coming. The quotes were less than I thought they would be so far.The Trane guy is the most $$ I can get a 4 Ton 15 Seer Single stage or a Carrier 16 seer Infinity for a few Hundred less.I was wondering is the Carrier 16 infinity a two stage?He called me with the quote and will be mailing it to me on the phone he told me variable speed and from the price difference of that compared to the 15 seer it better be. I was told by the Trane guy that I needed a new copper line set for the trane.My unit now is a 1990 Coleman/Evcon 3.5 Tons Air/with a gas furnace it has a 3/4 suction line.The Carrier guy said the line is fine, he said I was lucky with who put that Coleman in because the duct work for our house is great needs nothing but cleaning.I know line size is very important but copper is $$$ but I do want it to work the best.I don't care what they said about Ruud I am getting quote. I was wondering on the Carrier and the Ruuds do they have TXV Valves on both inside and out?I know Carrier calls Orifices Actuators I think. I don't want a System with any orifice at all they are not very good when it comes to refrigerant flow. I know Trane has on demand defrost which is good when in the heating do the others or do they have the standard 30,60,90 set up? I want to be able to lock out or at least turn off some of stages of emergency heat cause most folks don't know(my Family) that when you jack up that temp on a heat pump your heat strips come on and 15k heat strips are not a cheap way to heat.. I would appreciate any advice on this cause I am doling out a lot of money and I want to get a good system and a most of all a good install..These suction line size and other things are very important but when one person tells you its fine and the other is telling you it's not what do I do..I know they will take out my copper lines and flush them with nitrogen and reuse them which I don't care if it's needed....Thanks Wes

If your old system is R22 then the lines must be replaced.

not disagreeing with Seaton but many dealers are flushing probably disregarding whether lineset size is correct or not and certainly not concerned whether old system was R22 or not.

Rudd makes some nice HPs and they have demand defrost which is better than the nuisance and sometimes unnecessary time defrost method.

if you live in area/climate other than a moderate winter weather, I would want staged heat strips and HW VP IAQ stat that can help you manage their use.

IMO

You say you are almost an engineer and yet you seem to have iognored pieces of engineering that will effect you for the next 20 years.
    Where is your manuel j ,where is your duct design,where is your sizing information.
    Engineers have spent thousands of hours and a great deal of work putting together manuels to make sure you get the most ecconomical and most comfort providing equipment availiable and you mention none of it.
    You seem to be wetting your finger and putting it into the air for figuring out whats best for you. Is that the kind of engineer you intend to be?
    To answer some of your questions;There is nothing wrong with orfices if used with a properly matched system.3/4 line sets are OK in place of 7/8 line sets if they fit within engineering charts and guidelines.R22 oils must be flushed out of any lines or coils that will be used in a new R410 system.

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    If your old system is R22 then the lines must be replaced.
    Absolutely Not!

MOST MFG's Do Not Recommend Flushing (or changing the LS). Blow them out with 300 to 400 PSI of Nitrogen and let'er rip.

Read what the MFG says. We've absolutely beat this one to death in the past.
    In Many Cases it's almost Impossible to Change out the line-set. If it's easy, change it. Otherwise it's not necessary.

Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

I lost my left leg at the hip in 2002 I was in college then.I have Epilepsy and was seizure free for 6 years and hit a telephone pole doing 120+..I have just started going back to school..Engineering theory and Math is one thing but I don't know about H.V.A.C. installation I never said I did..I know about the Carrot cycle and super-fluidity and Heat Pumps don't make heat they move it from one to another.There is heat until you get to 0K but you can't get all they way there.The unit I am getting is a 4 ton heat pump and I just had some questions that is all.I don't even know if I want to do electrical engineering I am more interested in Quantum mechanics as I go on.This is my first post ever in here I just wanted so advice that is all not to be put on trial..