New Zoned System Trouble - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Excess humidity causes:

1.Improper refrigerant charge.

2.Oversized equipment.

3.Air flow too high.

4.Supply side air leakage,causes infiltration.

5.Return air leakage.

6.Building envelope problems,wet crawl space,etc..

That's all I can think of right now.Anyone else,free free to chime in!

Number 1 is possible,as well as 3,4,and 5,from what you have told us,the picyitres,and their lack of any solution to date.

Was the humidity ,high, with only 5 tons?What about the previous system,humidity wise?

Dash,

We have only been in the home for one year this Dec. The orginal system (three units @ 8.5 tons) but was as old as the home (16 years old) We considered the new system an investment in the home that would pay it self over the next 10-15 years. While old, the system was working fine and the home did not have the RH problems during the months of April and May. Here in Texas, we have had I cooler then normal summer.

The new unit was installed at the end of May and work extremly well. We were able to set the t-stats at 78 and RH remaind steady at 45%. This continued through June, one of our wettest on history (20 of 30 days) and the system didn't hicup.

At the end of June, early Aug. the weather turned warmer and we started to have problems cooling the home. The upstairs averaged 6-8 degree over the set temps on the t-stats (80 when set @ 72) This is when every thing went South and has never been right again. Just about the time I started the original thread...

Any other thoughs or comments. Still looking for advice

Everything that needs to be checked,seems to need a technicain,can't do it from here.

1.Check the charge
    2.Check airflow in each stage
    3.Check the External Static Pressure in each stage
    4.Check for duct leaks
    5.Be sure there is a backdraft damper in the smaller system

Duct desig

DASH,

Had someone come through the house yesterday and their consensess is 80% of my original cooling problem had to do with a POOR duct design. Also things something is not right with 5 ton given the humidty problems?

Also, confirmed there is NO back flow damper installed on 2 ton unit.

Waitting on there report.

LATEST from install group is they want to install a dehumidifaction module as the fix for humidty problem?????

Can a poor duct design effect my humidity?

I would not agree to the dehumidification module until they discover the problem with the 5 ton system.

Poor duct design usually does not affect humidity control unless you are pulling unconditioned air into the structure due to duct leakage in the attic in either the supply or return side of the system.
    If your duct was oversized and the blower was set to move exsessive air across the coil, it could reduce moisture removal capability.
    I'm not against the dehumidification module, I just believe that they are right in their consensess regarding the 5 ton system.
    __________________________________________________ ___________

DASH,

Had someone come through the house yesterday and their consensess is 80% of my original cooling problem had to do with a POOR duct design. Also things something is not right with 5 ton given the humidty problems?

LATEST from install group is they want to install a dehumidifaction module as the fix for humidty problem?????

Re: Duct desig

Originally posted by carestx
    DASH,

Sorry ,I lost track of your thread.

Generally poor duct design,means improper flow to certain rooms,or high static which causes low cfms.Low cfms usually result in better humidity removal.

There being no damper in the 2 ton,means they are running the two ton fan all the time,or it is likely running backwards when 3rd stage kicks in.

Running it all the time ,will result in additioanl air flow for the stage calling and poor humidity removal.

Running backwards ,though not desirerable,would likely increase humidity removal,or cause the first stages to trip on a "leaving air temp."switch ,would then result in poor humidity removal,if their fans are still running.

Please let us know what they find out.

Dash,

Stuck in limbo right now, still waitting for the independent report. Perlimary findings are, poor duct design, zone supplies are two small to hit the dist. boxes and feed all the duct / supplies in each zone.

Over all load calculations were off by 2 tons and the unit they added only makes thing worse (duct wise) Also, With the heat on now, we are back to having the frieght train sounds roaming around the house..we think this is due to the 2 ton circulating heated air bax and causeing the unit to jump into 2nd stage all the time

The installing group was out here again with the Amana rep. and now that want to replace the coil and have elimanted the dehumidifaction unit?

All in all the nightmare continues. I truly think I will have to enforce my money back gaurentee and start all over again.

Thumbs up Need North Dallas Company

OK, just over a year later and I have gotton a resolution to my problem.

Equip. is coming out, original installaers are out of the picture. Blank slate, I am looking for a HVAC company in the Plano area that might be willing to design a complete system for my home.

Please read all of attached thread as I have no interest in repeatng the last two years and want to give everyone as much info. on the past as possible.

Needless to say, I am not that impressed with Zone Systems anymore and the AMANA product line is guilty / questionable due to the above.

I am more concren with over-all comfort then brand or design and I am open to any suggestions based on my home design.

Anyone want to give it a try?

Zoning and two sped/stage equipment will deliver the most in comfort and humidity control.Of course the equipment and the duct system need to be properly sized,and the install top notch.

Carrier Infinty with zoning can do the job,it controls the fan air flow and stages,like no other.

Dash,

All duct has to be removed and installed again, this seems to have been the largest problem. Duct were all two small to handle the airflow. Add to that the undersizing of the system and we then the back-pack 2 ton and you see how it ended.

Once the system is removed I can have the ceiling repaired (forgot to add they never hooked up the drain on the 90% furance) then that leaves the over all attic clean for a new design...

Two years later and we start all over

Past history for reference only

NOTE:

I too have requested Dallas contractors respond...if interested!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456