Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 33

Thread: The Economy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    detroit
    Posts
    76
    Hello gentlemen I was watching NBC Meet The Press, and Fox news Sunday and I noticed all the topics were about what happen 30+ years ago in vietnam, or the war in Iraq. What about the domestic problems affecting this country such as the economy. I know the stats shows that the job market has grown unemployment rate has went down. What they dont say is cost of living is going up but Americans salaries are going down. http://www.freep.com/money/business/econ6e_20040906.htm

    I just want to say please when you vote dont be stuck on 1 issue vote for the canidate which has the concerns of yours.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    warren,mi.
    Posts
    616
    Originally posted by iamtg1
    Hello gentlemen I was watching NBC Meet The Press, and Fox news Sunday and I noticed all the topics were about what happen 30+ years ago in vietnam, or the war in Iraq. What about the domestic problems affecting this country such as the economy. I know the stats shows that the job market has grown unemployment rate has went down. What they dont say is cost of living is going up but Americans salaries are going down. http://www.freep.com/money/business/econ6e_20040906.htm

    I just want to say please when you vote dont be stuck on 1 issue vote for the canidate which has the concerns of yours.
    Plus the record setting trade deficits each month that neither canadate speaks of,$50 billion and counting,ouch.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Coastal Georgia
    Posts
    34,902
    Fuel at the rate of inflation compared to what it was in the 70's is still low. That is a good gauge. A import deficit is always said to be a sign of a bad economy. If it was bad, who is buying the imports and what with?

    I have always thought that 50% of a bad economy was always in the Americans heads and put their by the media and information they release. If everyone got up in the morning and bought a new dishwasher, refrigerator or new carpet for a room, you would not hear about a bad economy for a long time. It is all about consumer confidence and sadly that confidence is spoon fed to Americans. If really effects the democrats worse because they are always depressed anyway.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    detroit
    Posts
    76
    Originally posted by James 3528

    It is all about consumer confidence and sadly that confidence is spoon fed to Americans. If really effects the democrats worse because they are always depressed anyway.
    See instead of making this a national problem you want to divide it and say it more of the democrats problem. We need to get pass the elephants and donkeys and look at each other as Americans.

    Originally posted by James 3528


    If everyone got up in the morning and bought a new dishwasher, refrigerator or new carpet for a room, you would not hear about a bad economy for a long time
    Well its hard for people to buy things without money, you know the prices for everything is going up college, insurance, energy, but wages is still the same. That was Bush ideal with the first round of tax cuts and it did not work. It is hard to get people to do excess spending when he or she is worried about if their job will be outsourced.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Coastal Georgia
    Posts
    34,902
    Originally posted by iamtg1
    Originally posted by James 3528

    It is all about consumer confidence and sadly that confidence is spoon fed to Americans. If really effects the democrats worse because they are always depressed anyway.
    See instead of making this a national problem you want to divide it and say it more of the democrats problem. We need to get pass the elephants and donkeys and look at each other as Americans.

    Originally posted by James 3528


    If everyone got up in the morning and bought a new dishwasher, refrigerator or new carpet for a room, you would not hear about a bad economy for a long time
    Well its hard for people to buy things without money, you know the prices for everything is going up college, insurance, energy, but wages is still the same. That was Bush ideal with the first round of tax cuts and it did not work. It is hard to get people to do excess spending when he or she is worried about if their job will be outsourced.
    LOL...and you wanted me to "get pass the elephants and donkeys" Hang out at the corner minute market if you have a state lottery and see if the class of people you are refering to has slowed down buying lotto tickets, beer and buying F-150 pickups.. Yes things are a little tight but no need to think we are starving to death. BTW...things have always gone "up"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,327
    James is right about this a poor economy is generally driven by the media and the thought they place in the minds of the lemmings that watch the evening news.
    The economy has always had its up and downs as it must everything has cycles.
    For our industry it has been for the most part and mediocre or even bad year, but our economy is driven by the climate. This summer has been cooler and wetter than in recent years and last winter wasn't that bad. In spite of that I am within $100,000.00 of my sales last year mostly because the last two months have been very good.
    I haven't seen a huge down turn in the economy around here there are still plenty of new cars being sold in spite of less dealer incentives there are allot of new boats on the lake each weekend and the stores and malls are crowded.

    When President Bush took office the economy was starting to sag some and it got hammered by 9/11 and the realignment of the stock market. The stock market was due for an adjustment because the dot coms were way overvalued. In spite of all this and gloom and doom from the media the economy is growing and employment is low. In fact here in Houston the only people that aren't working are the ones who just don't want to. We have job openings for two years we can't fill partly because we can't find qualified applicants but also because most don't want to work for a living they would rather let the government pay them to not work.

    It was allot harder for my dad to fill up his truck at 20 cents a gallon when he was making $75.00 a week in 1969 than it is for me at $1.69 a gallon now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,739
    I find it hard to follow to say the least. So many intertwined things under one heading of economy. I doon't think anyone has the ultimate handle on it.
    there but for the grace of god, go all of us

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Urbandale IA. USA
    Posts
    4,946
    Here is a prediction...

    Due to the rising cost of fuel for transportation, it won't matter who wins in november, inflation will strike hard.

    Everybody will have to raise their prices for goods and services in order to make ends meet and it seems we are afraid to do it now before the elections...

    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
    Posts
    439
    I don't know about where y'all live but here where I live in (reality) Texas there are new houses going up everywhere, My town has just built 2 new highschools, a new courthouse, city hall, library, and another administrative building. There are shopping malls and fast food joints popping up all over. I just got a kick ass $54,000+ a yr job as a building engineer of 2 brand new buildings. I'm not buying all the left's flap about the economy being the worst in history. If the rich are getting richer then they deserve it. I never got a job from a poor person.

    W04

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dallas/Ft Worth, TX
    Posts
    439
    Kerry is just using the clintonista tactics of harping on how bad the economy is and the media being left of center runs with it until everyone hears it so much they believe it to be gospel. The Clintons did the same thing to Bush 41 in 91-92.

    Tell a lie enough times it becomes truth.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,652
    Congrats on the new job Woods.......

    But here in the midwest we don't have that pretty picture, not at all.
    We have record job loss. Yes, it may not show up in unemployment numbers because......we used to be home to the world's largest calendar factory. The jobs got outsourced and now there are IT wizzards flipping burgers at McD's. There are many cases like that here, not just that factory. Our schools are junk and our jail was shut down by the state as an unfit structure. Ofcourse nobody will vote for bonds on these issues 'cause the many without jobs can't afford higher taxes.

    Thankfully we just found out that a Casino is being built here in our county, shoud be done by 2006 and it'll support 645 jobs.

    The weather has sucked here so HVAC has taken a sizable hit here, we NEED a long hard winter, the last 3 months my wife has been making more than me as a grociery store cashier. Other HVAC companies are laying off and a couple have totally closed down so even with pittiful pay checks I'm still better off than some.

    I agree that inflation is going to deal a hard blow here soon. Not only are distributors going to have to raise prices to get product to us but we are going to have to raise labor rates as well. This has been coming in the HVAC world here for a long time. Today, the cost of furnace installations are only about 5% higher than 15 years ago. I expect to see HVAC installation prices jump by 20% in the real near future, in my region anyhow.

    The most important thing is that with all of these prices raising so fast I hope that wages raise as well or I'll have to go back to swinging a hammer.

    [Edited by i_got_ideas on 09-07-2004 at 12:51 AM]
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,327
    IGI the loss of a calendar factory is not exactly the loss of skilled labor jobs. How many people could it have employed and what kind of salaries were they making. In addition the mid west is not exactly a hotbed of industry and really never has been.
    The people need to go were the jobs and industry is and that means to the coast and the south. Look at the growth areas of the country the Carolinas, Texas, Georgia, and Tennessee Northern Florida these areas are growing and have jobs galore. The reasons are better climates close to shipping and natural resources with young infrastructure and well-educated motivated workforce.
    Iowa has been primarily an agricultural state and the workforce that was industrial was union just like Indiana, Illinois Ohio and the rest of the rust belt. Face it you live in an area that is dying just like the rest of the mid west and the northeast. Yes some jobs are being out sourced but for the most part what are they making colanders answering the phone and helping people fix their internet or their computer. They are also doing taxes and transcribing medical bills. Regrettable job losses but not our manufacturing base. The manufacturing jobs that are left here and the construction jobs are being done by Hispanic and Asian immigrants the black and un under educated whites would rather sit at home and collect unemployment or disability or some other type of welfare.

    Our installers are all Hispanics from all over down south they are very hard and competent workers. They take pride in their work have green cards are citizens. They pay taxes their children go to school and they live the American dream. We have had job openings for over two years and can't find qualified or quality applicants to fill them. You want a job and a good place to raise your family come to Houston you can make $50,000.00 to $70,000.00 with benefits your wife can make good money as a checker here as well or even find a better job if she wishes. We need a person to run our install department, we need service techs and a service manager.
    The economy just like real estate is location location location.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,652
    Originally posted by classical
    IGI the loss of a calendar factory is not exactly the loss of skilled labor jobs. How many people could it have employed and what kind of salaries were they making. In addition the mid west is not exactly a hotbed of industry and really never has been.
    The people need to go were the jobs and industry is and that means to the coast and the south. Look at the growth areas of the country the Carolinas, Texas, Georgia, and Tennessee Northern Florida these areas are growing and have jobs galore. The reasons are better climates close to shipping and natural resources with young infrastructure and well-educated motivated workforce.
    Iowa has been primarily an agricultural state and the workforce that was industrial was union just like Indiana, Illinois Ohio and the rest of the rust belt. Face it you live in an area that is dying just like the rest of the mid west and the northeast. Yes some jobs are being out sourced but for the most part what are they making colanders answering the phone and helping people fix their internet or their computer. They are also doing taxes and transcribing medical bills. Regrettable job losses but not our manufacturing base. The manufacturing jobs that are left here and the construction jobs are being done by Hispanic and Asian immigrants the black and un under educated whites would rather sit at home and collect unemployment or disability or some other type of welfare.

    Our installers are all Hispanics from all over down south they are very hard and competent workers. They take pride in their work have green cards are citizens. They pay taxes their children go to school and they live the American dream. We have had job openings for over two years and can't find qualified or quality applicants to fill them. You want a job and a good place to raise your family come to Houston you can make $50,000.00 to $70,000.00 with benefits your wife can make good money as a checker here as well or even find a better job if she wishes. We need a person to run our install department, we need service techs and a service manager.
    The economy just like real estate is location location location.
    Believe me buddy, I'd take that job in a heartbeat but wife wants to go to somewhere there's no tornados. We had our house slammed by an F4 5 years ago and she's freaks anytime there's a storm now. She wants to go to Washington State but I think I may have her talked into the Reno, NV area. Either way it is becoming increasingly clear with each passing day that I need to get out of here. Our house is on the market now so we'll see what happens. If I'm not on here for a 3 or 4 day period it's likely because we're getting the f*ck out of dodge. There is something about this place I was warned about long ago, stay too long and you're stuck, that's what it's feeling like.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event