Thread: Thermostat suggestions for Lennox

Post Likes

Thermostat suggestions for Lennox

My home's HVAC system was replaced a year ago (everything but the ductwork) with a Lennox system. The A/C is a XC21. The thermostat is a Comfortsense 7000 unit. I don't remember the model number for the LPG furnace.

I'm very happy with the system, except for one thing. The thermostat relays are very noisy. The thermostat is centrally located, so you can hear the relays from pretty much anywhere in the house, even with the TV on and normal background noise. I decided to give myself a year to get used to the relay noise, thinking I would become used to it. I have not, so I'm considering replacing it.

I like everything else about the 7000, especially the touchscreen. Any replacement thermostat I buy must be touchscreen, also.

I've looked at some of the Honeywell IAQ, Prestige, etc. thermostats. I assume that since the relays are in a separate module that can be located in the attic, the thermostat is essentially silent.

My question is...are there any "silent", touchscreen thermostats that I can use that will not result in me losing any capabilities that I have with the 7000 on my system (i.e., all of the stuff in the "user settings" and "installer settings" menus)? I don't have a de-humidifier on my system, but may have one installed at some point in the future.

My dealer doesn't have any suggestions, as he always sells the 7000 with a system like mine.

Thanks,
    Ira

Post Likes
    The VP IAQ would definitely get rid of the relays for you. It will have more capabilities than your 7000 series. You will have to manually change the settings on the new t-stat to mirror what you have on the 7000.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the response.

I looked at the installation manual for the VP IAQ and it said max ambient operating temperature for the EIM is 120*. My attic regularly hits (and stays at) 130*, so I guess that's not a good place to mount it. Does the EIM contain the same noisy relays as the Lennox 7000? If it is located in a living space, will I hear it when it starts/stops the HVAC system? I guess I could run some additional wires and mount it in the garage, but that would be about fifty feet from the thermostat and where it connects to the HVAC system.

Any reason (other than the extra cash) for not using the Prestige thermostat with its THP9045 wiring module over the VP IAQ in my scenario? It does look cool.

Thanks,
    Ira

Post Likes
    Try a Honeywell pro-line series. They'll do everything including make the coffee, almost.

Post Likes
    It clicks but not what I would consider loud. It is in my basement so I never hear it.

Post Likes
    max ambient for the t-stat is 120*
    max ambient for the EIM is 150*

Operating Ambient Temperature:
    VisionPRO® IAQ Thermostats: 0°F to 120°F
    (-18°C to 49°C).
    THM5421C1008: -30°F to 150°F (-34°C to 66°C) - EIM
    C7089U1006: -40°F to 120°F (-40°C to 49°C) - Outdoor Sensor
    C7189U1005: 45°F to 88°F (7°C to 32°C) - Remote Indoor Sensor

Post Likes
    The EIM for the Vision Pro IAQ is fine in the attic, just make sure it gets installed out of line of sight of the roof decking.

Post Likes

ya the EIM clicks, put it 50 feet away in the garage nothing wrong with that

seems a little hot in the attic for that thing IMO!

Post Likes
    Lennox actually distrubutes a "Lennox" stat. Part # 4147. Its very simalr to the honeywell pro 8000 and the vision pro. Some of the features a little different geared towards working hand in hand with their equipment. I am a bit picky and would like all my equipment to match down to the tstat. Its a very reliable and acurate piece. Find a lennox dealer and they should have one on hand.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by RLEE2344 View Post
    Lennox actually distrubutes a "Lennox" stat. Part # 4147. Its very simalr to the honeywell pro 8000 and the vision pro. Some of the features a little different geared towards working hand in hand with their equipment. I am a bit picky and would like all my equipment to match down to the tstat. Its a very reliable and acurate piece. Find a lennox dealer and they should have one on hand.
    i remember about 8 years ago when the trane 19i's came out

before communicating 19i's

we used to put the Carrier Thermidistats on them

they were the only stat that would allow dehumidification on demand

sometimes outsourcing the stat can make for a better combination as the example i gave prooves

a Honeywell 8000 overcools to dehumidify

the Honeywell IAQ dehumidifies on demand

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in