Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I tried this once before, but withdrew under the weight of officious judgment that came my way. Being in much better mental and physical health now than then, I believe I'll try again...

If there were no written screeds, no bibles or torahs, no ayotollahs or preachers at the local church, nothing pre-approved by others, no previous catch-phrases or quotes, nothing previous to this moment except language itself, how would you describe your understanding of the basics of life and the drives that move us? Why do we do more than kill, eat , live? Is there more than "Me and MINE", or does anything that benefits mine over yours automatically justify itself?

Anyone quoting any writing prior to their own post, including another's post, should be ignored as being disrespectful to the intent of this thread and should not be responded to.

Think for yourself. Speak for yourself. Try it it's addictive...
    "That's good enough..." usually isn't.

Okay, let's jumpstart this...

I believe that there comes a point when what I want for myself and mine comes in conflict with what is best for 'all of us' in the long run.

Do I take from your widow and children and feed to my hungry family? Should we feed on your recent corpse? Does my ability to overcome your sons in your absence make that a justification for my sons' prosperity?

If might doesn't make right, what does, and why? Proximity, relation, borders, ethnicity,...?

What reason is there to rein in my basic drives in order that someone else might 'make it' in this world?

[Edited by air of honesty on 09-02-2004 at 12:49 AM]

What the hell are you smoking?

If there were no cars, trucks, motorcycles, airplanes, tractors, SUV's, or mo-peds, how many speeding tickets would I get in a 55 mph zone?
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Hey! Who said that? It's the voices! Make'm stop!

If there was nothing like you mentioned I don't believe human life would have continued or we would be living like in the movie great "Mad Max"

Should our kids walk to school or carry their lunch?

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

Proud member of KA Club

Without law it would be like Mad Max. Some people would try to do right. They would likely be overpowered by people with no morals, who take what they want.
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

Not so easy to express your ideas or feelings without relying on other people's words, is it? The problem is choosing the words that mean what you intend, without triggering misunderstanding or illiciting an unintended emotional response. Phrases and expressions get repeated, then parrotted, then parodied until the emotions they conjure up have little to do with the ideas that spawned them. Just saying one can get whole crowds to nodding their heads and agreeing to do whatever it is the speaker wants them to do without any clear idea of what that entails. Politicians know this. They count on it. So do preachers.

Listen carefully to the people who try hard to communicate with you in their own words. Ask about their plans. Be open to a new way of thinking about our shared problems. There are good people with good plans of action out there on both sides. Be wary of those who beat the same old drums and chant the same old phrases. They most likely have the same old 'hidden agenda' to push.

In the meantime, when you hear an idea you agree or disagree with, try putting it in your own words, so you can think your own clear thoughts about it. Several species of animals can repeat what they have heard. Only Man has the ability to interpret for himself the Truth in what he hears.

I think it has to do with the complexity of our brains. The ability to reason rather than just react. The culmination of our experiences leads us to what is right or wrong in all situations. I don't think you can take religion out of the equation. If you look around, you can't help but wonder who or what caused or created these things, and at that point the thought of a creator is the beginning of a religion.
    I'm not even sure what your asking. LOL But, I wrote what I wrote. Now I have a headache.

Just tired of all the sabre rattling and sloganeering.

There's just too much at stake in the world at the moment to be running around behind ditto heads of any stripe. People need to think about what's being said, and look at what's being done and how.

Think about what you believe and why, or you'll never be able to explain it to your kids.

Just wanted to shake up the status quo...

[i]Originally posted by air of honesty

What reason is there to rein in my basic drives in order that someone else might 'make it' in this world?

[Edited by air of honesty on 09-02-2004 at 12:49 AM] [/B]
    So that you can look in the eye that person shaving in your mirror every morning. About 10% of the population is sociopathic thus , have no conscience or concern for others.
    About another 40% of the population is motivated to "do the right thing" in fear of being roasted in hell by their Creator, rather than any sense of altruism. About half the population, does the right thing , because they do have a conscience and choose to follow it.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Which is further...to New York or by train?

Proud member of KA Club

I think the LSD's a kick'n in.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast