+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Native Bacnet DDC

Post Likes

Native Bacnet DDC

I'm primarily a mechanical contractor now (long story), but I used to be a BAS engineer for Trane.

This job I'm bidding requires Trane equipment (M-series AHUs and a bunch of VAV boxes) so naturally I thought I'd throw a Tracer Summit system together and spec some MP581s on the AHUs and Comm 5 VAV controllers. But then I found in the spec that all DDC equipment must be Native Bacnet, so there went that idea.

What about KMC? I'd like something I'm familiar with as I intend to program it myself (used to do that, too). I used to work with Andover, but it was so cumbersome. KMC graphics were a PITA as well. I don't remember if these systems were Bacnet or not. What would you recommend to meet the spec? Anyone want to come down to the Virgin Islands for a couple of weeks and do some programming and graphics?

Post Likes
    Isn't Trane doing BACnet now?
    You will definitely pay a a lot less for a KMC system. I've not had any major hardware issues and the programming is pretty straight forward. The graphics leave a lot to be desired but they are functional.
    You might consider a Tridium Jace for your front end / web server. There is a little bit of a learning curve but once you figure it out the graphics are real easy and if you can imagine it you can probably do it.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

Post Likes
    Trane has been "doing" BACnet for a long time, but it is an emulation rather than a foundation, and very unnatural for the BCU. I doubt Trane has backslidden into the archaic world of BACnet from LONtalk. That would be like Sony bringing back the Betamax player.

This government job is spec'd native BACnet, meaning BACnet based rather than LON. I wonder if the spec is cut and paste from 2002...maybe I should ask.

Post Likes
    last I heard Trane was rolling out some BACnet MSTP unitary controllers, I thought the BACnet VAV controller was already out:

http://www.trane.com/CPS/Uploads/Use..._05142009H.pdf

http://www.trane.com/Corporate/Clark.../Varitrane.asp

Post Likes
    Trane does have an mstp line of controllers now. It is very small selection meaning that the programmable and vav controller are the same device. Check into the UC400-800 line of controllers. Not sure if they are available to non-trane offices but they are out there.

Post Likes
    And what about the BCU and MP581?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by man from trane View Post
    And what about the BCU and MP581?
    I believe another option is the Tracer SC
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    But then I found in the spec that all DDC equipment must be Native Bacnet,
    Sounds like the school district has had some help with their specs from ALC or Delta's salesman.

Post Likes
    BCU and MP are still around but the new front end is going towards the Tracer SC which is comm5 and bacnet with web access.

Post Likes
    Interesting...I've been away from BAS too long. It sounds like I could meet the spec with Andover Controls. Do you think Trane would meet it with their new stuff?

Post Likes
    Interesting...I've been away from BAS too long. It sounds like I could meet the spec with Andover Controls. Do you think Trane would meet it with their new stuff?
    Absolutely...

If you are specifying Trane AHU's, then it makes sense to go with the Tracer SC (next generation BCU) and UC400's (programmable BACnet MS/TP field controller... similar functionality to the MP580). There is tons of literature on the Trane website. http://www.trane.com/COMMERCIAL/Cont...ult.aspx?i=875

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in