The Ten Commandments - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Ten Commandments comes from the torah. The torah is from the Judaism religion. The Ten Commandments make reference to a single god and that no other gods come before him. This is monotheism and the god being referred to is the god of Judaism therefore the Ten Commandments promotes a particular form of religion.

Torah! Torah! Torah!

War cry of the Kamikaze Rabbis.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

While I am a Christian, and will evangelize to anyone that wants to hear the Good News of Jesus Christ, I must disagree with Bootlens overal attitude on religion in the United States.

Yes, I believe in the things that bootlen believes in, but the United States was built on the ideals that everyone, even those who do not share my faith, can live in peace and prosperity and have the right to pursue happiness in this great country.

Now, don't get me wrong; I see nothing wrong with the display of the Ten Commandments in public and on government property. Since the Ten Commandments uphold the laws of the United States as well as the moral laws of Jews, Christians and Muslims....and....are not opposed by the morals of any upstanding faith in the world including the faith of those who do not believe in a supreme being, what's the argument?

If we were not allowed to display great features of other faiths that are also shared by all I could see the dilema, but there is no law preventing the moral teachings of The Buddha or other non-monotheistic faiths to be displayed.

Therefore, the only reason for this issue is that people who oppose the basic moral values that the United States of America was built on want those values eliminated from public display. A handfull of people who oppose American morals are using and abusing constitutional wordage to decrease the moral value of Americans.

If you believe in God, or even a god, there is no issue. If you do not believe in God, or any god, then there should be no issue. Only if you oppose God, or any god, is the display of the Ten Commandments offensive to you. In my opinion, those who are offended by the Ten Commandments are not worthy of being part of American society. In my opinion, if you oppose such things as The Ten Commandments you are my enemy because you oppose the values of the United States.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    While I am a Christian, and will evangelize to anyone that wants to hear the Good News of Jesus Christ, I must disagree with Bootlens overal attitude on religion in the United States.

Yes, I believe in the things that bootlen believes in, but the United States was built on the ideals that everyone, even those who do not share my faith, can live in peace and prosperity and have the right to pursue happiness in this great country.

Now, don't get me wrong; I see nothing wrong with the display of the Ten Commandments in public and on government property. Since the Ten Commandments uphold the laws of the United States as well as the moral laws of Jews, Christians and Muslims....and....are not opposed by the morals of any upstanding faith in the world including the faith of those who do not believe in a supreme being, what's the argument?

If we were not allowed to display great features of other faiths that are also shared by all I could see the dilema, but there is no law preventing the moral teachings of The Buddha or other non-monotheistic faiths to be displayed.

Therefore, the only reason for this issue is that people who oppose the basic moral values that the United States of America was built on want those values eliminated from public display. A handfull of people who oppose American morals are using and abusing constitutional wordage to decrease the moral value of Americans.

If you believe in God, or even a god, there is no issue. If you do not believe in God, or any god, then there should be no issue. Only if you oppose God, or any god, is the display of the Ten Commandments offensive to you. In my opinion, those who are offended by the Ten Commandments are not worthy of being part of American society. In my opinion, if you oppose such things as The Ten Commandments you are my enemy because you oppose the values of the United States.
    ================================================== =========

You sound "lukewarm" to me, Robo. Is there anything in Scripture about "lukewarm"?

I would also refer you to http://www.wallbuilders.com.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

The principles in the constitution are the values of the United States, not the Ten Commandments. If you oppose the constitution you are the enemy of the United States.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain

Bootlen, you just don't seem to get it! Just because other Christians are not as fundamentally agressive as you are does not make us less Christian.

The United States of American is NOT a Christian country, it is a country that promotes freedom of faith to all.

Since the United States is not a Christian country your repeated references to biblical passages are irrelevant to the United States as a country.

No bootlen, I am not a "lukewarm" Christian, and it is a very pompous thing for to think you can judge me. You really need to stop and think about what Jesus would think of your judgemental attitude toward others.

But Robo

We sure aren't a muslim nation, THANK GOD!! Nuke them all!!

Originally posted by air1
    The principles in the constitution are the values of the United States, not the Ten Commandments. If you oppose the constitution you are the enemy of the United States.
    Really?

You shall have no other gods before me.

You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them...

You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

Does the constitution not expect Americans to be loyal, as is the intent of the first three commandments? Should we not stay loyal to the United States first and foremost? Should we not disallow icons of other nations to go before the icons of America? Should we not be held responsible for treasonous actions?

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work.....

American labor has fought hard to establish governmental rules that even go further than this in making for a 5 day workweek. Sounds like we took some good advice here and enhanced it even further.

Honor your father and your mother.

Is this not an American belief in family unity and respect of elders?

You shall not murder.

I do believe this is actual law in all fifty states.

You shall not commit adultery.

Don't go to divorce court if you have violated this one!

You shall not steal.

Again, this is American law in every state.

You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

Legally, we call this purjory and it is an American law.

You shall not cove your neighbor's house. etc.

While not American law directly, certainly is good advice to keep you from the stealing thing, eh?

So, just what is it that is not American about the Ten Commandments?

You’re really reaching now.

The constitution gives us "Freedom Of Religion" but the liberals want to turn it into "Freedom From Religion". That is why they hate the commandments. The liberals are the ones who are against the constitution, they are trying to tear it up while we conservatives are defending it.

Norm who exactly is "the liberals". The dictionary has a defintion of it, but for some years now it has become to mean anything at any time anywhere. maybe I agree with you about the "liberals" but what i get from the press is anyone opposing the repbulican party is a liberal. In that case i can't agree with you, but if by "liberal" you mean someone like osama then I do agree with you. His whole concept of life is truly twisted,he is not a religious leader, but a zealot out for his own sainthood "in his mind" and from what I understand does not represent the vast majority of muslems. I am fundamentally against someone who wants to destroy, this country, constituion and human beings in general. Questioning the government is acceptable. No one is perfect not even government officials, or law makers or lawyers, doctors indian chiefs. We are all keeping a watch on the government to keep it from getting out of hand. We should be thankful for each others views to balance the country out, we all make mistakes and have believed things that were not true in hindsight. This is good as long as we are shooting words at each other and not slings and arrows.
    there but for the grace of god, go all of us

Originally posted by air1
    You’re really reaching now.
    ================================================== =========

And I would refer you also to http://www.wallbuilders.com.

More definitively, check this out.
    http://www.wallbuilders.com/resource...?ResourceID=41

[Edited by bootlen on 09-06-2004 at 10:24 PM]
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Wow bootlen, that makes what I stated really much better appreciated. Thanks for the backup.

I wasn't aware of most of those incidences by the way.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast