Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by NormChris
    The question was what is the problem with the ten commandments that they need to be removed from public display?

Because it represent religion in a public place is why they don't like it.

The same reason that they don't want "In God We Trust" on currency or displayed in the courts etc.

Because liberals have their own "interpretation" of the constitution, and have an uncanny ability to find the separation of church and state in that document, even though it is not physically written there...

basically the ten commandments are displayed in every set of laws in the US. Most of the things in the ten there are laws that adress them, murder, stealing, ... so we all are living by the ten commandments in that respect.And most all peoples of the world think these truths are self evident. Maybe its the graven image part that some other religions in the US take eception to?
    there but for the grace of god, go all of us

Originally posted by caosesvida
    basically the ten commandments are displayed in every set of laws in the US. Most of the things in the ten there are laws that adress them, murder, stealing, ... so we all are living by the ten commandments in that respect.And most all peoples of the world think these truths are self evident. Maybe its the graven image part that some other religions in the US take eception to?
    ================================================== =========

Pay close attention caos. The dems/libs want GOD out of our society/government. Don't be fooled.

No, it's not okay. No, it isn't right. No, it's not acceptable. Right is right and wrong is wrong. God taken out of society/government is wrong.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

I don't think the dms/libs want god out of society at all. I know a lot of church going people who are dems/libs/rep/ind/ and every other party. None of them want god out of society at all. this is about people who belive in a different interpretatioin of GOD, and it may differ from ours or yours. If you put only one interpretation of GOD in the government other people feel that their GOD is being trodden on. If government were to take all GODs into consideration it would be quite a mess of paperwork. By hving religion the choice of the people and the government the choice of the people, The PEOPLE vote in the representatives that the feel sides with thier GOD. This is the beauty of Democracy, don't you agree?? I don't believe by not making one religion THE religion of the country we are fullfilling the dreams of the people who created this country with thier blood. People were dieing for thier religion at that time in a big way. Being so important wouldn't you think there was a reason they didn't put only one persons or groups version of God in the constitution? I see GOD as a forgiving GOD and wouldn't think with all the problems we have in the world with hunger, genocide, torture, killing innocent children , that he would want us to spend a lot of time on this, but go out and help his people who are suffering. It is good to have these dicussions, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Originally posted by caosesvida
    I don't think the dms/libs want god out of society at all. I know a lot of church going people who are dems/libs/rep/ind/ and every other party. None of them want god out of society at all. this is about people who belive in a different interpretatioin of GOD, and it may differ from ours or yours. If you put only one interpretation of GOD in the government other people feel that their GOD is being trodden on. If government were to take all GODs into consideration it would be quite a mess of paperwork. By hving religion the choice of the people and the government the choice of the people, The PEOPLE vote in the representatives that the feel sides with thier GOD. This is the beauty of Democracy, don't you agree?? I don't believe by not making one religion THE religion of the country we are fullfilling the dreams of the people who created this country with thier blood. People were dieing for thier religion at that time in a big way. Being so important wouldn't you think there was a reason they didn't put only one persons or groups version of God in the constitution? I see GOD as a forgiving GOD and wouldn't think with all the problems we have in the world with hunger, genocide, torture, killing innocent children , that he would want us to spend a lot of time on this, but go out and help his people who are suffering. It is good to have these dicussions, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Herein lies your misunderstanding. There is ONLY ONE living God. He is the Author of Holy Scripture, whence the Ten Commandments come.

All other "gods" are false gods and had nothing whatever to do with the creation.

Oh, yes. They are trying to remove the one true living God from society/government. They have as much as said so. While they have said "religion" has no place in politics, I agree. But they don't mean "religion"...they mean God.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

Proud member of KA Club

Thank you Founding Fathers for banning the establishment of a national religion. Or else people like bootlen would be able to force their beliefs on me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Faxct of the matter is, a bunch of federal judges are forcing their religious beliefs on me.

Proud member of KA Club

Bootlen,

I would fight to defend your right to believe in whatever god you choose. I would hope you would do the same for me. The goverment should not be in the business of promoting one religion over another. Absolute seperation of church and state.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Originally posted by air1
    Bootlen,

I would fight to defend your right to believe in whatever god you choose. I would hope you would do the same for me. The goverment should not be in the business of promoting one religion over another. Absolute seperation of church and state.
    The government is not promoting one religion over another. That is what the constitution prevents congress from doing. The 10 commandments represent the values of all religions. Do you favor murder, stealing, lying, etc...?

The founding fathers did not ban the government from acknowledging the creator. Just from establishing or favoring a certain religion. Our government is of by and for the people and the majority of people in the USA claim christianity as their religion. So we could be called a christian nation. That said I do believe there should be a seperation between church and state in that the state should not legislate matters of conscience concerning with religion. It's funny that the very people who claim to follow and defend the ten commandments do not keep the 4th commandment themsleves. Myself I find no harm in displaying the big 10 in government buildings because our law is based on judeo-christian values. As long as the government isn't telling people how, who, what, or when to worship then it isn't violating the seperation of church and state.

Originally posted by air1
    Bootlen,

Would and have. I would not deny you the right to worship in any way you want. But when the way you want interferes with the way I want, we have a problem.

But that is not the problem here. There is one true sovereign God. If He is denied His rightful place in every facet of our lives, we are like a ship with no rudder. We are not wise enough to right our own laws and enforce them. Man has botched it every time he's tried. The same will happen to us. Our legal system was originally based tightly and strenuously on Biblical law. When we get away from that, we endanger the welfare and safety of our families. I have a problem with that.

Proud member of KA Club

"Herein lies your misunderstanding. There is ONLY ONE living God. He is the Author of Holy Scripture, whence the Ten Commandments come."

I can't say that my ideas or beliefs superceed all others. Its great that you and I belive in the same god, but to condem all other peoples religions and beliefs doesn't follow through with what jesus was teaching. I know we could quote each other to death from the bible to prove our point, but my belief is that jesus understood what it was all about, and it is about "love thy neighbor" above all else. We can all interpret the bible the way we want. Thats why differnt religions can use the bible to say they are right, each one is right because different parts of the bible CAN mean different things to different people. From what I have read the first bible was written in the 1400's or so. I may be wrong and you can lead m e to the info, because I would like to know. It aslo has been interpreted a number of times and changed, such as the king james version. The info was passed down through those 1400 years after jesus by word of mouth. This shows me how strong the belief in jesus was. But this also can lead to someone slanting the bible or some of the stories one way or the other. BUT over all the love of jesus comes through regardless of the other messages. If one group can show that love in a different way to his fellow man could jesus send them to hell for it? I don't belive that. We have had this discussion in our church group also. You probably would guess that different people had different ideas.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast