Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: union

Post Likes

union

Good morning everyone,

I am looking into joining my local steamfitters union for an hvac apprenticeship. I live in Elverson, PA (right outside of Philadelphia) so for me that would be the local 420. Does anyone have any tips or advice for getting in or what I should expect?

Thanks!

Post Likes

Post Likes
    You can probably expect to be held back at a lower level as long as they can keep you there. The more you make the less they work you.

Post Likes
    Not sure about your local. But get in and learn all you can. Volunteer to get in on all the weekend/night jobs. Your going to start off as helper light maintenance. Well it all depends on your skill level. But get as much exposure as possible to the different areas after the 5 year program you will be a well rounded tech. When other techs go home early you won't be. Expect to pay a lot of miscellaneous fees/dues. In the end it's worth it depending on your route you plan on taking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
    You can probably expect to be held back at a lower level as long as they can keep you there. The more you make the less they work you.

I don't know what your experience with Unions is but for apprentices wage promotions are automatic, usually every six months. When I worked for others I never had a problem getting my hours. Nether did anyone else.
    I should have learned to play the g'tar on the MTV. MK

Post Likes
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Just dropped off my application yesterday. Now i just have to wait until the May 15th deadline to hear about the testing

Post Likes
    Good luck. Most people that bash the unions don't have any real knowledge about them.

Post Likes
    I was in it and will bash it all day long. Scabs heal.

9. Likes Apprenticanic liked this post.
    Dislikes Apprenticanic disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I don't know what your experience with Unions is but for apprentices wage promotions are automatic, usually every six months. When I worked for others I never had a problem getting my hours. Nether did anyone else.
    x2

Post Likes
    My guess you did not show up to work, or had some bad attitude from the get go, that gave you a rep. (If you are not running your own shop, as a worker Union if you can get it, is your best chance at a great career, both money/insurance/retirement, if you own it, not that important. by the way, union all my life, and now run my own shop, 1 man, but still union.

Post Likes
    At the end of the day it depends of what you are willing to put into it. There are good/bad union companies, on the other hand you have good/bad non union companies. If your a good employee who is willing to work and your good then you will make it either way. Just remember something, once you learn something no one can ever take it away from you. So learn all you can.

Post Likes
    I never worked union but my dad was lifelong member of one.. it treated him well but I would not assume someone else was at fault for a bad experience with one without knowing any real details. Unions like anything else in this life are made by Man and have human beings in charge and anything can go wrong and subject to corruption and abuse of power .. aside from that I think you can get ahead good with one starting out in a career however, but from my own experience, I don't really know.

Post Likes
    Why? please tell me what bad they did to you to have your negative opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast