Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Moving on to another company but..

Long story but shirt version I went to tech school got my basic stuff. Been service/install tech for almost year now. Friend got me the job and I enjoy every minute of job. I don't feel company is where I belong. I have learned so much but most of its been on my own. There is a lot of guessing on what's wrong with units rather then testing correctly. Past few months I been buying tools I need. Still need a lot more.
    Problem is I have family and can't afford the pay cut for lack of experience. Company I work for doesn't even use sub cool or super heat. I was showed how to do this in school and I use it. I do as much reading as I can to learn new and correct ways to do things but it's not the same as having a vet show and explain some things. Some things I have been taught I'm not even sure if it's correct way. Little scared to move on and find out everything I have been doing is not right and have new company can me.
    Stuck on what to do. Only working about 30 hours a week right now and in past with company there won't be much work at all March and April. What would be beat way to handle this? Stay another year and get 2 years experience to look good on resume? Give 2 weeks and move on now? I do residential work. I have hand tools then about half of others. Last thing I want is to be trained as a hack
    Last edited by Dad; 01-29-2015 at 10:39 PM.

Post Likes
    Find another job then give notice.

Supply houses are a good source for postings.

Post Likes
    Anyone know what to expect far as pay? I've talked with few people and I'm getting wide range. 15 - 35 dollars is what I been hearing around here. Kansas City.
    Any local guys have suggestions on where to apply?

Post Likes
    A year ain't much, frankly. If it were me I'd probably try to get another couple years in.

What's stopping you from asking questions about things you are not clear about right here. Plenty of industry veterans right here and when you are doing service you can put the knowledge to use. That's what I did, having started in a very bad environment with little help. If you are persistent, there are many members who will slow it down all the way to where you're at...Some clowns who feel above it all, sure - but that's everywhere.

Why not rise to the top within your present company? You don't have to be outspoken about it - just let your work and call back rate shine. If they don't use superheat and subcool, or whatever else, doesn't mean you can't.
    "...and pray it works, pray to God it works."

---Nick's Handyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGllepZY2HE

Post Likes
    Like hurtin said, sounds like the place should be easy as pie to advance!
    Should be easy pickens if you give it a few years.
    There's hacks everywhere, not hard to separate yourself from them..... Good luck!
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Depending how much you know. Just take classes at night and gain more knowledge. Superheat and Subcool is important, especially knowing what it means. if you want there is a job post to be a HVAC guy in Cayman islands they are hiring that is a sweet job in the Bahamas living nice and tax free.

Post Likes
    It's a small family business. I am first not to be family member. Great people and became close to them which makes it hard for me to decide.
    I feel I know a lot for the time I have put in but I also know there is a lot I don't. I did 4 weeks training when I first started then went out on my own. They wait for system to flash and do 30 over head pressure for it to be charged. I know it gets you close but I'm ocd about doing stuff correct way.
    As far as questions go i have asked a few but I don't want to seem like that diy guy. For example I was told not to put gauges on in heat mode on heat pump or it will blow them out. After reading post I see that you can. Little stuff like that. I have been reading stuff here for years and have learned a lot.
    Call backs are pretty low. Last one I had was 3 weeks ago. Board was bad and gave me false code.

Post Likes
    You will not be confused with DIY with professional member status, if you were referring to here.

You have 28 posts including this last one; ask more questions specific to what you are seeing on the job and control the thread until you are satisfied. Like how to check if a board is lying to you - or if it's really just a corroded molex plug that needs to be slid on and off its terminals a few times.

I think a lot of techs start thinking about change this time of year, if they could do better elsewhere; but I'd get some more time in first if it's not unbearable. I hear ya' though...it's very difficult to be chomping at the bit to learn the trade and being in a bad environment with poor practices and little teaching. I remember those days quite well...but almost four years down the road the worst offenders are no longer employed by us anymore.
    "...and pray it works, pray to God it works."

---Nick's Handyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGllepZY2HE

Post Likes
    I don't see edit button anywhere. Could a mod delete my email out of first post please. I was trying to type hvac and phone changed it to my email.

Post Likes
    Start reading and keep reading. Attend all the training seminars you can.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilg0re View Post
    I don't see edit button anywhere. Could a mod delete my email out of first post please. I was trying to type hvac and phone changed it to my email.
    Hit the report button and they will come change it.

Post Likes
    I'm in a somewhat similar situation. Have had plenty of weeks that had me wondering if I should even be in the industry. I would lean towards sticking it out longer. It gets frustrating and difficult, but you are hands on with every call and there are lots of sources to learn from.

Post Likes
    Let me give you some advice as an employer. You are worth far more with 3 years experience than with one! One shows you leave quickly, three shows you tried to stay. IMO anyway. We get lots of guys who have just a few months at a number of places and I'll not even call them back since they are referred to as "job jumpers", not potential employees. Lots of green grass out there, but it's still just grass once you get to it. Stay there and become a better tech, then if unhappy, change. But get some experience first. Hang in there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast