Post Likes

Relocation to Caribbean (most likely Cayman)

Gents,

My wife and I are planning on relocating to the Caribbean (most likely Cayman) in 1.5 years’ time for roughly 12-24 months (maybe longer if it turns out to be something we absolutely love). This has always been a dream of mine since starting in the trade. I have done quite a bit of research in regards to moving there as well as compiling a list of potential employers. I understand that the lifestyle can get ‘boring’ but we’re very laid back ppl, love hot weather and are looking for a change. I’m just wondering if any of you have any experience with the Caribbean and HVAC.

A little about me –
    From Vancouver, BC || 11 years in the trade || primarily worked on RTU’s MUA’s etc, HP’s, water to water chillers, VRV/VRF installs, kitchen equipment (dislike it). The other 6-7months of the year working on your usual heating calls.
    Now I don’t mind doing residential work, but one of the main things I’d hate would to be dragged into a contract with a company that would toss me out to work on window shakers 90% of the time…
    I’m used to residing in an area with a high cost of living… How much is the avrg hourly rate in $CI? I understand that it is tax free, which is a bonus.

This isn’t just some overnight idea for us. We’re serious about it, but must wait until the Mrs has completed her degree in business / accounting etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Slick

Post Likes
    You may have noticed, but there are at least a couple of members here who are in the Caribbean.
    I don't know if it's possible to somehow do a search on the site to find them. Might be worth a try. I recall seeing a thread or two where working and living environments there were discussed.
    Good luck!

Post Likes
    Had a friend that went down around there somewhere. Ended up working for Club Med. He said it was more of a joke than anything. They would never allow him to buy parts, but demanded everything to be in working order. When he was allowed to order a part, it would take days/weeks or whatever, because, of course, there were no local wholesalers. Everything had to be flown or shipped in.

I remember one story in particular. It was the TEV, probably for one of their many bar units; can't remember the exact problem, but they needed a new one. His manager said get it up and running ASAP, I don't care what you do. Maybe he used the ol' dime trick, can't remember for sure, but he was laughing quite a bit as he was telling me the story.

But there were fringe benefits. Like lots of girls looking for a good time.

Post Likes
    Ya I remember seeing some posts regarding Cayman. I'm sure most outfits would have stocked supplies for popular brands of equipment... giving the customer a 2 week ETA wouldn't go over too well lol

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slick101 View Post
    Ya I remember seeing some posts regarding Cayman. I'm sure most outfits would have stocked supplies for popular brands of equipment... giving the customer a 2 week ETA wouldn't go over too well lol
    Yeah me too, about 2 months ago i think

Post Likes
    Are you still looking,
    Please email us at caymancl@candw.ky

Post Likes
    Where did you hear it's tax free?
    Maybe they don't tax in the Caymans but they sure do in Canada. Your first step should be paying for the advice from an international tax accountant.
    It is my understanding that you are obligated to file a tax form regardless. Now if you completely divest yourself of all things Canadian except your passport that will make it simpler. If you keep a Canadian drivers license, any property with you named as owner, any bills sent to a Canadian address and you will be taxed. It does depends on where you earn your world income and what that country taxes you. Be prepared.
    Also take a vacation where you think you might want to work and get away from the resorts and check out how the locals are living.
    I worked with a guy who did the same thing, fire saled all of his worldly possessions and moved with the wife and kids to the Caymans, didn't last 6 months.
    It took him awhile to get grounded again in Canada, don't think his marriage survived that adventure.
    Good luck and keep the board posted, I am sure there are many with the same ideas.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input Dalec. I'll look into the tax issues when the time comes. I've also heard stories of guys from the lower mainland who have gone down there and returned with regrets. That's their own fault for not researching, visiting prior (i've been), and obviously preparing for hot humid weather with not a ton to do lol.

Post Likes
    There are several cayman island job ads for hvac in the kansas city star!!