Thread: FX20 Email

FX20 Email

I'm trying to send an email from a FX20 controller if a BI closes and so far I have had no luck.
    I setup the BI to go in alarm on contact closure. The alarm extension is setup to use the JCAlarmClass.
    Under Administration - Alarmservice in the wire sheet the JCAlarmClass output is connected to a EmailRecipient.
    The EmailRecipient has a valid Email address. For Email Account, I selected "OutgoingAccount".
    The OutgoingAccount has the IP address of the Host.
    However I am not receiving emails. It is possible that the mailserver is rejecting this mail....but how do I know ?? Is there anyway to see if the FX is even attempting to send an email. Maybe some error log that I can look at?.

Thanks

The OutgoingAccount Hostname needs to be the name of your customer's mail server. Something along the lines of "pop.comcast.net" Once all the blanks are filled in (port and authentification, if any) you will see the Last Poll Success begin to update.
    UA LU 562

also the reply to box must have something in it...even if its BS. Some servers will kick it out if it has no return address.

You can enable debug on the outgoing account. This will tell you if it is handshaking properly with the email server.
    "I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!"

IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by freddy-b View Post
    also the reply to box must have something in it...even if its BS. Some servers will kick it out if it has no return address.
    What freddy said.

And checking the debug output in the station director (or application director)
    There's a lot to know.

Thanks for all responses... The debug tool was very helpfull. At least it tells me that the FX is trying to send the email. Apperently the FX is getting no response from my mailserver.
    I am not sure why, as I have the FX setup on the same network as my computer, that is sending emails just fine. As far as I can tell all the fields are filled in right, the "reply to" box has an entry, mailserver, password are all correct

Viceman,
    Great information. Where can I get the manual where this came out of ??
    This is my first time setting up a FX 20. It is for a simple job, the only requirements are: monitoring 20 alarm inputs, sending an email when alarm occurs and webaccess for the customer. Normally I would spec a NAE for something like this. I can set those up in no time and be done with it, however I saw this as a great oppurtunity to become familiar with the FX controllers. Also the cost was a huge motivator.
    So far I am very impressed with the FX capabilities.... The only frustrating part is the lack of any decent manuals.. the only one I could find are the ones from Johnson Controls.

Look for the FX-Workbench Users Guide on the JCI site.

You may be able to get more info at niagara dash central, Tridium's site.

There is a bunch of stuff available but it takes a bit of digging.

If you are looking for "How To" stuff it is a bit slim.

Search for "Niagara-AX" that will get you started.

Besides the FX-20 (actually the 60) is my choice over an NAE Any day (every day!), hands down.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

Me too...

Quote Originally Posted by exwtk View Post
    Thanks for all responses... The debug tool was very helpfull. At least it tells me that the FX is trying to send the email. Apperently the FX is getting no response from my mailserver.
    I am not sure why, as I have the FX setup on the same network as my computer, that is sending emails just fine. As far as I can tell all the fields are filled in right, the "reply to" box has an entry, mailserver, password are all correct
    I'm having the same problem here as well. Everything is set up right but I keep getting an error message: "javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: mail.stevemartinentinc.com, port: 26;"

Port 26 ?

Try setting the smtp port to 25 not 26 then send a test message. Remember to put something like "FX20@yoursite.com" in the reply/from field.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

1: try using IP address of mail server rather than dns name
    2: try spoof return mail address
    3: some mail servers require a valid return address
    4: somae mail servers wont let you send mail unless logged in + all of the above