Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I moved to Ft Myers from Chicago right after Hurricane Charlie. I got in with the largest company down here, $15 an hour + OT right out of trade school. Lead installers that just came on are getting $25 /hr. Don't let some of these guys discourage you. They did the same thing to me when I asked the questions. It has it's ups and downs. Things get slow in service during Oct - Dec, but installs are backed up til March.

[Edited by cbarker5913 on 11-29-2004 at 11:59 PM]

Thanks for an encouraging reply. Did you find work in residential or commercial?

hvac45 $13. to $15. where?Its more like $10. to $12. in florida but pennsylvania there is no work I would reconsider this move if you line a job up first then try it. I have a lot of emails on jobs in forida I read them last so I get a good laugh.

tinman mike see the deleted by boss I don't think those guys like florida.

Frame, it was in Naples, 15 year lead men for change outs.

I made that at 22 right out of the army for about the first 6 months about 12 years ago. My gosh.

Once again, thanks to all who have actually worked in Florida and responded. I wil absolutely line up a job before I go. Anybody hiring? It's a good thing Columbus never listened to the naysayers.

Actualy Mike....this is a great time to go there. You wont find housing there though as Huricane Charlie devasted that whole region. It is starting to be tourist season and they are kicking all the people out of the motels that lost housing to make room for the snowbirds at a higher rate. The northern third of Fort Myers to the North end of Port Charlotte is flattened or severly damaged.Plenty of work and the wages have gone way up. you should be in the range of 14 to 17. good luck and remember....NO HOUSING and what there is is left is $$$$$$$

Unhappy

Left The Area Five Years Ago.
    My Brother Lives There, And I still Have Freinds There, In The Business.
    They Are There For A Couple More Years Untill They Retire.
    A Lot Of 1 & 2 Man Shops.
    If You Like To Sell Contactors For Over $100.00 ( 30amp )
    Then You Make Money On Clean An Checks, If Thats Your Thing.
    There Was A Comment On This Posting But It Is Gone Now.
    You Might Get $15.00 Hr If You Are Luckey?. There Are Some Large State Wide Companys That Have National Accountants, But That Is Filter Changes And Coil Cleaning.
    Stay Away From Companys Like ( cms,twc,Johnson Controls )
    They Will Ride You Hard And Fast, To Get The Most Of You For The First 6 Months, Then Look To Replace You.

fresh start Guest
    First of all I live in michigan and I have been in Florida and found the people to be no different than here. Infact in most cases have found southren people more pleasent to be around,not as up tight as northeners Although I did run into a situation I simply did not see comming from somebody in Naples. This gentleman called me to see if I would be intrested in working for him and after a few long conversations I agreeded to make the trip to Florida at my own exspense,he said he would have to confirm with his brother and would call me back he called me back WELCOME ABOARD 15 dollars an hour to start the van cell phone.ETC.
    and my brother has a friend in real estate setting you up with an apartment.So I talked to the wife she said go for it when you get set up I'll come down so I took what money I could get together and left for Florida. After breaking down and stopping to see my sister I arrived to find this gentleman on vacation and his brother telling me I never agreeded to hire you just to interview you and there was no apartment. I stood there in total shock and just about broke simply could'nt think stright. How was I going to get home this ******* had the nerve to say to me no biggie stick around I'm sure you can find a job. where was I going to sleep or shower for that matter. I guess my point is that there are jerks all over the place there is nothing you can do about them just don't let it change who you are or the commitment you made to your self to be the best you can be.As I'm typing this thread I'm finding graditude in the fact that I was able to repair my van and get home.I would still move to Florida and still have the commitment to myself and whom ever I worked for, except this time it's money up front.The one thing I always seem to find is when it gets busy employers want you to bend over backwards to bail them out but what are employers willing to do for there employees or pontenial employees and as far as cost of living being cheaper down south pretty much not true it was true 10 years ago not anymore although you do get a little more home for your money depending on where you live.

The labor market in Florida, all over, is an employee market. There is more work than the licensed companies can keep up with. The wages aren't as high as up north, but surprise neither is the cost of living! I have moved back and forth from around Memphis to Ocala or Sarasota (where I was raised) and though even as a licensed contractor I make slightly less here there is an increase in my standard of living in Florida. So don't be discouraged, be prepared to ask for what you need to make.

Question Question

Hey Bldgcod1 It Sounds Like You Are A Inspector For Some Building Deparment?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast