Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have an aos degree in hvac technology and over 1 years experience in commercial and residential hvac installation.
    I am with a good company but my problem is I know how to do just about everything, (not saying I know it all) but I feel I am stuck as a helper. I feel ridiculous doing *****work for people that I posess the same skill level as. Any advice on how to move up?

AT ONE TIME

All chiefs were just braves. All generals were captains.Hang in there.
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

"*****work" .... never though of having a good job at a good company to be called "*****work"....

Since you came to us asking for advice ... I will give you some.

Are the guys you "***** with" during the day asking you questions so they find out what you are retaining from your OJT?
    Are they giving you encouragement to hit the books at night when your off duty?
    Do they challenge you during the day, in positive ways, to draw out from you the learned knowledge you are aquiring?

These guys whom you "***** with" during the day ... do they rely upon you to be there each day for them?
    Do they trust you with their safety and such?
    Do they assist you in your learning and comprehension of each aspect of the jobs being done?

Do you get to ride up front in the trucks with them, or do they make you ride in the back of the truck?
    Do you eat lunch in the same area as the rest of the guys? Or do they make you leave them to eat in private?

Did you know that if this industry were perfect .... there would be an apprenticeship for each and every new guy and such a position would require the new guy to serve in a role such as you may right now be serving in?

There would be a Mentor and his apprentice. And guess who would be carrying ALL the tools?
    Setting up the ladders, runnig out the extension cords, going after stuff to the van once your set up on the roof or in the attic ....

You said you know everything. But then you wrote something else down to protect the image of not being too proud.
    Well ... that didnt work.

I hired on with a company and they had me do ride alongs with some of the guys who were there longer.

This one guy I had the misfortune of riding with for a few days was only in the trade two years.
    Hell, I been doing this work longer than he's been walking the Earth!

He used to gripe about how this one outfit made him carry everything and do all the hard stuff.... you remind me of his complaints.

And you know what ??? He wanted me to carry his tool bag!!! He wanted ME to carry HIS tools for him!!!

If you dont want to come across like a dick .... dont act the part.

Learn what your co-workers have an interest in. Learn about some of that stuff. On your own time.
    If you know the guys like to eat lunch but dont usually take the time cause they dont know where such and such style restaurant is located when your on an out of town install ... you be the one who looks it up online the day before ... so yo can hand the guys a map showing the nearby eatting places.

When you meet for the drive to the jobsite ... offer to buy the coffee's if they stop along the route.

Become their servant. And when you do .... you will stop being a "*****"!

Plus ... if these guys have any character at all, they will notice what you are doing, by your changed attitude, and will themselves begin treating you differently.
    I specified .... "if they had any character"...

You dont have to kiss nobody in order to do a great job as a team player. But you do need to embrace which part of the team your part is. And right now ... your there to make their jobs easier. So go out of your way and do exactely that!
    Stay up jotting down notes at night how you couldhave done todays work easier, more effecient, what parts or tools did you need that were not readily at hand? Which parts could you have had onsite which would have turned things around in your team's benefit? Te same applies to safety issues. THINK!!!

When returning home from an install, I used to ask my guys these same questions.
    What could we have done differently?
    What parts could we have had readily on hand which would have made a difference?
    What parts should we have had which we had to make due without?
    The same goes for tools or equipment.

I'll slow down here and give you some breathing space.

One last point I noticed about you. You have very few posts to your name. Even though you have been a member here for quite some time.

Even the top dogs here post questions from time to time. They engage in discussions and debates quite frequently.
    You learn more here by asking questions and receiving answers.
    You also learn by making mistakes.

If your co-workers do not come to this forum, yo have an advantage of being able to learn without their knowing your here.
    If they come here but dont recognise you, then you still have that priveledge.
    USE IT!!!

Write out a thread and list how you begin your day.

Write it out for us how you end your day.

We care about how things are going for you. You are a part of this industry!!!
    And someday, one of us will either be working along side you or will hire you. Maybe ... maybe one day one or two of us here will even come to work with you under your guidance!!!

Most who enter this industry ... remain here for the rest of their natural lives!

So we're stuck with each other!!!

VERY WELL SAID R12!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

Wow, Thanks for the reply, I want to make a couple of points, I do not mind doing "***** work" Ive busted my ass lots to help out and be my part of the team. I understand what you are saying in your post very good stuff. I mainly am not complaining about the work, I am looking for the best ways to move forward quickly. I am a very fast learner, and I have the ability to do progress in training very quickly, but I am held back right now. I am not given the opportunity to do what I need to to go to the next level.

I feel as long as I am just "helping" that means someone is holding my hand. Just like riding a bike, eventually you gotta take the training wheels off and go for it.

I understand I will fall down, thats how I will learn.

To sum it up, I feel I am at a point where I have learned as much as I need to from "helping" and need to be given more responsibility.

I am the type of person that doesnt like to feel stuck, or typecast maybe, I want to be constantly chal;lenged.

Thanks again

1 years experience....I know how to do just about everything

OK if you wanna get to the next level...eyes and ears open, mouth shut, do what you are told with a smile, get back to me in 5 years and I will give you the next step.

You may think that you know alot and that your a fast learner....that was the exact type of mentality one of my apprentices had until I let him do a job on his own. He ended up calling me 20 times and I still needed to go to the site to troubleshoot the problem!

Your expirience is very low, you may think you know everything but trust me and the other licensed journeymen...your just getting your feet wet!!!

I need to point out one major thing, I as being the owner of my own business carries all of the liabilities of the actions of my employees, therefore if you screw up because you thought you could handle it, it's my ass on the line, not yours!!!

I dont think I know everything thats ridiculous, my point was you can only learn so much with someone holding your hand. I appreciate the input, my best bet is probably just to keep truckin until Ive got enough years behind me, because people in this trade do not take you seriously without that. And, Ive done jobs on my own, without help this is why I know that I am ready. I do understand their are alot of things to learn in this trade, and that knowledge only comes with time. Thanks Again

You have a very good attitude and that is going to get you far. At some point in the future you will be in the right place at the right time. Hang in there and imitate a sponge.

Where are you @ hivacer ? You have a good attitude and that will get you far . Like the others have said 1 year OJT doesn't really mean anything to any employer. You pretty much have to have 3-5 years OJT under your belt before you can "request" anything from an employer. I know you may think it is unfair and it sucks but save this entire thread and read it in 5 years, you will realize the point everyone is trying to make to you. I envy your determination but determination alone will only get you so far without the years . I would recommend that you get to know the guys in the supply house's around you and meet as many techs that you can while in the supply houses. You would be supprised how easy it is to get a job if you hang out for an hour in a supply house and talk to people.

I dont care what kind of degree you have. 1 year of experience is nothing but 1 year. You need to apprentice for atleast 3-5 years. I also have a degree in environmental systems tech. and when I started working in the field it helped me about 20% of the time. Its the hands on and equipment familiarity that makes a good tech and this only comes with time and with time comes wisdom and with wisdom comes better pay.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Im in st louis area, thanks for the advice about the supply house. Im actually happy with where I am at. There a handful of very good techs that all have techniques adn tricks that I have picked up and am still picking up. I will quit *****ing now and take your advice and run with it.
    I know your right without 3-5 years experience no matter what I know I wont be taken seriously, so I should just get as good as possible until then, and go from there.

I really enjoy this job, (though it really sucks ass sometimes, hauling boiler sections, radiators from 3 floors up that sucks) I get pride from putting something together and then looking at it and saying wow , that looks good, you know. Well, thanks again guys, I feel better now. I LOVE YOU MAN! Ok just joking there, C-YA

Some good answers, R-12 that was well put, I still remember coming out of school in the air force, going to my 1st base, and thinking I knew it all, boy, did I get woke up fast, it took about 5 years to where I could walk onto almost any job from a chiller to a resid. furnace and not have any reservations. I am a fast learner also. So have patience, you will gradually move up. By the way that was 32 years ago. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast