Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amana vs. Goodman

Post Likes
    Other than the stainless steel primary heat exchanger and the lifetime (vs. 10 year) replacement on a bad exchanger, what are the differences between the Amana AMV9/ACV9 and the Goodman GMV9/GCV9? Also what about the Goodman CLQ versus the Amana RCE?

Post Likes
    Doesn't goodman own amana??? I would go with the amana solely because of the lifetime on the heat exchanger...

Post Likes
    Robo?
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    I use goodman and get lifetime on all 90+ units heck there even up to lifetime compressor warranties on 14 seer and higher.

Post Likes
    YES ! One bought the other I dont know who bought who. But the product i dont know .
    Yes sir! its on the truck.

Post Likes
    There is one difference you guys are forgetting.....

The Amana is darker grey
    EDIT: can't forget....the Amana has nitride ignitor, Goodman has Norton mini-ignitor.
    Other than that you got'er covered.

Word is that the Goodman condensers are going to look better next year too. The way it was explained to me, sounds like a Carrier type look. I'm not sure on that though.

The lifetime/10 year, he's talking about replacement of the whole unit if the Hx fails within that time.

RoBo....with warranties like that I think Goodman at LEAST should require warranty work to be done by Good-care dealers. This way we can determine the reason for failure and prevent another from failing within a couple of years. We could determine if the homeowner just plain didn't change the filter and then not warranty the replacement. Check gas pressures, etc. to make sure everything is ok down to the duct work. If something is wrong the HO would have to have the fix taken care of before the warranty work could proceed.

[Edited by i_got_ideas on 08-31-2004 at 11:44 PM]
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes
    When do the new units come out? Are the Goodman condensers going to look more like the Amana? Also, I noticed that the top of the line Goodman furnace is 92% efficient while the Amana is 96%. What accounts for the difference? Is the stainless primary exchanger that much more efficient than the aluminized in the Goodman? Where is Robo when the tough questions are asked?

Post Likes
    Isn't the Norton mini-ignitor a SiNi too?

Post Likes
    Amana is made by Goodman. Goodman does so under license from Amana. I don't believe either company owns the other.

Post Likes
    Goodman bought Amana from Raytheon then sold the appliance division off. So technically they own Amana HVAC but not Amana appliances.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by deq169
    Amana is made by Goodman. Goodman does so under license from Amana. I don't believe either company owns the other.
    Not at all. Amana was it's own HVAC and appliance company until about 8 years ago when Goodman bought Amana from the parent company Raytheon. About three years later Goodman sold the "white goods", ie; appliances, to Maytag along with the Amana name. Goodman currently leases the name Amana for it's Amana brand HVAC equipment.

Amana equipment equipment and Goodman equipment have been completely seperately manufactured systems until recently when the Dayton, Tennessee Goodman plant began building the "corporate" coils and air handlers that are rated with both the Goodman and Amana brand products.

The Goodman brand has benefitted greatly from Amana technology over the past couple of years while the Amana brand has benefitted greatly from Goodman marketing techniques. Yes, the two brands are now sharing even more components such as cabinetry.

IGI has it pretty much correct with the differences between the Goodman and the Amana furnaces. Soon the Amana heat pumps and condensing units will have a protective steel louvered grill cover similar to the Goodman. The louvers on the Amana units will be horizontal instead of vertical and the higher end units will have simulated corner braces.

For the most part, I believe that the changes to both brands has been for the positive.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    I have a new Goodman GMS90904CXA arriving FRIDAY....na-na-nana-na

Honeywell training on the new controls is Monday the 13th and I plan to pick up some VP8000 stats there too.

Post Likes
    Robo,

Can you explain the differences in efficiency between the Goodman and the Amana? Is the stainless primary the real difference betwwen the two?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Amana equipment equipment and Goodman equipment have been completely seperately manufactured systems until recently when the Dayton, Tennessee Goodman plant began building the "corporate" coils and air handlers that are rated with both the Goodman and Amana brand products.
    Interesting. A lady at Goodman in Houston told me recently that the entire Amana line is manufactured in Fayetteville, TN.

Post Likes
    I have ben selling both for a long time, Amana has pretty much been in Tenn., Goodman in Texas. Amana has the lowest heat exchanger failure % I do believe on the market. Amana technology on their furnaces went over to Goodman which is a good thing. I do believe that Goodamn is just building the coils,Amana heat ex.are going to the high eff. Goodman furnaces. Seperate, but shared to improve all around for both lines. Am I not correst Mr. ROBO?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by holabr
    Robo,

Can you explain the differences in efficiency between the Goodman and the Amana? Is the stainless primary the real difference betwwen the two?
    I need to look into this one. I just finished doing an application/seminar with the NJ RSES using the new Goodman furnaces which are rated at 93%. I don't know why stainless steel would give up heat faster than aluminized steel would and the only other major difference is the ignition system.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Keith Lohr
    I have ben selling both for a long time, Amana has pretty much been in Tenn., Goodman in Texas. Amana has the lowest heat exchanger failure % I do believe on the market. Amana technology on their furnaces went over to Goodman which is a good thing. I do believe that Goodamn is just building the coils,Amana heat ex.are going to the high eff. Goodman furnaces. Seperate, but shared to improve all around for both lines. Am I not correst Mr. ROBO?
    Well, overlooking the little faux pas of "Goodamn" this is about right.

The Dayton, TN plant is being utilized to built the shared "corporate" coil that is rated with both the Amana and Goodman heat pumps and condensers.

The Amana plant in Fayetteville, TN is also building the blower sections that have replaced the BBA and BBC. The new blower models fit the new corporate coils. Both the Amana and Goodman condensing furnaces are being built in Fayetteville, TN while the non-condensing furnaces for both brands is being manufactured in Houston.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Robo,

With all the information you have, I think Goodman/Amana is missing the boat by not paying you to run a forum/QA page on their web site.

Post Likes
    They actually forced me to remove all Goodman/Amana info from my personal website when the new legal eagles took over. That is also why I do not represent anyone or any orgainzation or company on the Internet. I am just me, Super RoBoTeq (the teq is for tequila ).
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    What would they think if you changed your name to Mr. Goodman?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in