175 Ton 19D centrifugal chiller

Hmm

I have a Carrier 19D centrifugal chiller, 175 tons. Can anyone tell me what the capacity of the charge for this chiller is? The original installer back in 1976 did not mark the plate with how much R-11 was put in the system and I need to have that information. Is there a formula or rule of thumb for calculating the charge? The IOM manual only indicates checking the rating plate.
    Def. of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results!!

The smaller D machines 102 thru 147 were shipped with 500 lbs. R-11. Optimum charge varies between 425 and 475 lbs.
    The medium size 160 thru 228 were shipped with 600 lbs. R-11. Optimum charge varies between 500 and 575 lbs.
    The larger machines 255 thru 397 were shipped with 900 to 1150 lbs. R-11, depending on cooler size.
    All charges had to be trimmed under full load conditions to adjust charge to optimum.
    Hope this helps.

I'm impressed coolwes what kind of tech support line are you at . Open to anyone ?
    is this really happening or not

Thanks coolwes...that is exactly what I was looking for!!
    Def. of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results!!

I'm now working part time for the contractor I have been with for many years.
    Done service work most of my life.
    My job right now is primarily tech support for our techs.
    This is a great site to share our experience.