Thread: Carrier 24ANA compressor failure, years old

Post Likes

Carrier 24ANA compressor failure, years old

Hello
    After months of reading on here we decided to purchase a Carrier heating and air con system 24ACA for our home ( 3100 sf). The compressor failed at the beginning of the third summer. We have learned from an electrician not involved in the install that our home has a 3 stage system but the compressor was single stage. The electrician wants to convert our home to single stage. A family friend says that the three stage is superior and we should not make this change.

1. Should we keep our home as it is on the three stage system? What are the advantages?

2. If the hvac company installed a singe stage condensing unit and our home is 3 stage. Is this a problem?

Many thanks
    Holly

Post Likes
    I believe he means 3 phase or single phase. It is not a problem if this is the case. 3 phase sysyems can have advantages but it would be unusual to have 3 phase electricity in a residential setting. 3 phase equipment would be more expensive to purchase and probably cheaper to run in some ways, but with single phase you can get higher efficiencies.
    I would get single phase equipment and follow your electricians rec. for power requirements.

Post Likes

Thanks Jim

Sorry I meant three phase. So I understand that the single phase compressor is
    compatible with our three phase electrical system. So I will eliminate that as a possibility for the failure of the compressor.

OK That said. What are some reasons these compressors 24ANA fail after 2 years, this was an expensive system. I called Carrier and the rep there was indignant and suggested that our hvac installer might be to blame. This worries me, how do I determine if they are right?

Thanks again
    Holly

Post Likes
    Most compressor do not fail, they are killed.

Have a second, reputable and knowledgeable company come and review the entire system. The local Carrier distributor should be able to help you with locating a good dealer.

Low airflow, undercharge, overcharge, mis-matched equipment, all are causes for compressor failure. Voltage issues can also damage compressors, but a single phase system on a 3 phase service isn't a problem unless it was connected wrong. A good tech could spot that in a few minutes.

Post Likes
    Have an HVAC tech find out the cause of the failure. It could be install related.
    Did the electrician say the wire size is big enough for a single phase unit.

Be carefull not to get too many chefs involved.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nychick View Post
    Sorry I meant three phase. So I understand that the single phase compressor is
    compatible with our three phase electrical system. So I will eliminate that as a possibility for the failure of the compressor.

OK That said. What are some reasons these compressors 24ANA fail after 2 years, this was an expensive system. I called Carrier and the rep there was indignant and suggested that our hvac installer might be to blame. This worries me, how do I determine if they are right?

Thanks again
    Holly
    Yes it is compatible, if it was wired wrong it would fail right away in most cases it wouldn't take 2 years. This is a very good system but does need to be installed correctly by a qualified hvac company. At two years on this system you should have some warrantys still in place. I feel sure the compressor itself is but there is a lot of labor involved also. Also the replacement has to be done properly to get expected lifetime out of it.
    You need a qualified company to come out to determine what the failure is and determine cause if possible and correct. Carrier can give you names of people in your area. If they are replacing compressor make sure they also replace filter drier, add a suction filter drier if it was a "burnout" or grounded compressor, run capacitor and contactor.

Post Likes

Just to be clear

Thanks guys for all of this good information. I want you to understand that I did get the name of the HVAC installer from Carrier in the first place. In fact, I didn't know you could get Carrier equipment any other way. Maybe you mean Sears, so no I didn't buy it there. I contacted Carrier in late 2007 and they directed me to this installer.
    Thanks
    Holly

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in