Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A few years back working for Carrier Transicold, the ONLY way to fix this particular unit was a 3 floppy and a laptop.
    (software upgrade for the micro processor)

Now working for TK, about once a week I have to pull one out just to clear nuisance alarm codes and such. Can't be done with just the keypad anymore.

Heck, I've got a whole drawer in my roll-away dedicated just for my laptop, patch cords, floppies and CD's.

In some ways it makes my job a little easier, other times, it's a nightmare. More **** to go wrong.

Just the other night, had a road call to a warehouse where the drivers load was rejected. The insurance company wanted a 30 day history report on his unit.
    Heck, I didn't even get out of my truck. I pulled up, handed the driver a cord and told him to plug it into socket 'A' on the unit.
    40 minutes later, I'm back at the shop e-mailing the info to the I.C.

Same thing with the containers down at the port. I'm told they have a few new ones that have micro processor controlled electronic TXV's (can't wait to get back and play with those).

Any of the stuff you guys work on taking this route ?

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get involved in doing this kind of work? There is plenty of this here in my area and have thought about soliciting work myself. Of course I'd get some academics on it first but. If you could, just a brief pointed description would do for me.

I kinda fell into it myself.

Today, if I was starting my own company, I'd hit the truck stop billboards and trucking companies with adverts about taking emergency repair calls and doing maintenance.
    (Maintenance sucks, but it'll get your foot in)

Hardest portion would be getting parts on a timely matter or after hours (which might be impossible).
    Only 2 places for parts, Carrier Transicold and ThermoKing.

Basically, get your name out there.

I used to refer boxes in the 80s the latest was the carrier transcolds but I didn't have to use a laptop then.
    they still had the paper temp chart with the pressure tip

I kinda miss doing refrigeration sometimes particulary containers going to an orchadists and doing a PTI and taking a nap while the container pulled down to temp after doing the pressure readings fan amps comp amps etc.
    I really liked it when I got 6 containers at one site you could get em all done and have a good nap as long as you had at least 4 plug ins for them
    Cheers
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

I worked Thermo Kings for a couple of years.
    It can be miserable work. A box comes in off the road with 40,000 pounds of frozen beef and it is warming up......you have to get it fixed. No matter how hot everything is.

bryan l Guest
    A Laptop for me is beoming an almost every day necesity. I use the one supplied by the shop for oncall but its a hastle trying to get it all the time. I will be buying one for myself here shortly (company wont buy me one) because its getting to the point I cant do my job without one. I mostly do supermarket/wearhouse work and there are allot of systems you need a laptop for now days. Its the way most manufactures are going now (well really for the last 5 years) and its just another tool to have in the truck.

Yea I am not to fond of all the computerization going on but it will only get worse...Actually, I have be known to rip it all out and completely rewire a system with conventional mechanical controls after getting a bit frustrated...Of course it voids any warranty if there was one left, but it does provide a little job security because when they try to get someone else to fix it they usually walk away because it will be quite awhile to just figure out the wiring(especially if I only had one color wire on the truck that day).
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

software manuals

anyone have any manuals in pdf format for thermoking?

The PC gives the customer tons of data for trends, reports etc.

A lot of this is for C.Y.A. purposes. (Thank you MR. Lawyer and Mr. Accountant.)

I don't know Jack about transport refrigeration, but I suspect the microprocessor based controls can log lots of data. "Sir, your product NEVER got above 35 Deg. F. or 50% RH on it's trip from LA to Chicago. So we are not going to pay for your spoiled product you lying bastard!"

Will 2,

I install/service DDC systems. Our techs are able to do a lot of troubleshooting/repair without a PC. A lot of systems can be checked with a good multimeter, some jumper wires and a nine volt battery. The software, of course, is installed and tweaked with a PC.

The main tool they use is between their ears.

The PC is no substitute for a good tech. (Listen up auto dealers, you lying bastards!) If the guy running the computer doesn't have the knowledge/training or is lazy, he is not going understand the data he is getting from the PC.

Give your techs (or yourself) all the training they can handle, and then give 'em some more.

Re: software manuals

Originally posted by tmcbroo
    anyone have any manuals in pdf format for thermoking?
    Which model ?, I managed to get out of there with a couple.

manuals

i need one on a sd2 max but if possibale i would like all of them just to have onhand love to read them still learning comerial refrieration .

Originally posted by thehumid1
    ....it will be quite awhile to just figure out the wiring(especially if I only had one color wire on the truck that day).

That isTOO funny!!!

That WAS pretty good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast