Dems/Libs

Thread: Dems/Libs

can't help themselves. They commit questionable acts even when they are not asked.
    See the following report from Netscape News with CNN:

``I got a young man named George W. Bush into the National Guard ... and I'm not necessarily proud of that, but I did it,'' Barnes, a Democrat, said in a video clip recorded May 27 before a group of John Kerry supporters in Austin.

Barnes, who was House speaker when Bush entered the Guard, later became lieutenant governor.

The video was posted June 25 on the Web site http://www.austin4kerry.org, but didn't get much attention until Friday, when Jim Moore, an Austin-based author of books critical of Bush, sent out e-mails calling attention to it just days before the GOP National Convention starts in New York.

Bush joined the National Guard in 1968, at the height of the Vietnam War, and served until 1973. He has said he received no special treatment.

Barnes said he became ashamed after walking through the Vietnam Memorial and looking at the names of the dead.

``I became more ashamed of myself than I've ever been because it was the worst thing I did - help a lot of wealthy supporters and a lot of people who had family names of importance get in the National Guard,'' he said. ``I'm very sorry of that and I'm very ashamed of it and I apologize to the voters of Texas for that.''

Barnes told The Associated Press in a brief telephone interview Saturday that the video ``just speaks for itself.'' He declined to answer specific questions about what role he had in helping Bush, but he said he may have more to say next week.

Both Bush and his father, the former president, have said they did not ask for help in finding the Guard opening.

``It is no surprise that a partisan Democrat is making these statements,'' Bush spokeswoman Claire Buchan told the Houston Chronicle. ``This was addressed five years ago, and there's nothing new.''

Five years ago, Barnes found himself at the center of questions about Bush's Vietnam-era service when the then-Texas governor emerged as the Republican presidential front-runner.

At that time, Barnes' lawyer issued a statement saying Barnes had been contacted by the now-deceased Sidney Adger, a Houston oilman and friend of Bush's father, who was then a congressman. Adger asked Barnes to recommend Bush for a pilot position with the Air National Guard and he did, that statement said.

``Neither Congressman Bush nor any other member of the Bush family asked Barnes' help,'' according to the 1999 statement.

Ben Barnes was a typical lib. He was Lt Gov. when I lived in TX.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

bootlic,what are you complaining about?
    a democrat helping bush get out of going to vietnam,or bush for pulling strings to get him out of vietnam?

typical republican;"put a turd in your cap and call it macaroni"

Oh, okay.

Somebody out there please teach remember how to read.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

Proud member of KA Club

Talking

Point proven!

mindboggling.

how slow are you guys?
    what in that statement helps your point that george didn't "duck" his days in the gaurd.

it says nothing about it.
    but it does say congressman barnes did help with bush's pilot opening,at the request of a bush family friend.(and if you believe that a family friend just happened to make a contact to get george W out of vietnam,without the knowledge of his friend and george w's father,you are mentally deficient.)

did you think that because the guy was a democrat,he wasn't in the bush clique?remember lloyd Bensten? political opponents,but both got caught up as conspirators in the savings and loan scandal.george hw bush and lloyd bensten,and their sons(jeb and niel)and lloyds son.)

even the bush spokeswoman didn't really deny everything.she said,"this all came out before",and this little clip doesn't say what came out before.she was just trying to be dismissive.

so the republicans are supporting an active draft dodger(service coordinator/manipulator;favor wheeler and dealer.no wonder this has been such a corrupt administration.they are a bunch of bums and crooks.),considering the climate of 1968.

nice.

Happened all the time, my ill-informed antagonist. I personally know of 7 or 8 in my small home county. People trying to gain someone's favor on the sly in hopes of some gain down the road. Was it right? Not by any means. But it happened just the same. Many times, it was years later that they found out someone pulled some strings for them.

So, before you go spewing trash, get your facts straight. It will help to keep people from knowing you're an idiot.

Proud member of KA Club

self delete.

[Edited by rob10 on 08-30-2004 at 08:37 PM]

24!!!!!

Proud member of KA Club