air filter inside the return

Several years ago I had my HVAC system replaced and a contractor decided to make a custom (diagonal) opening in the return, right before it enters the system cabinet, so I can slide in air filters instead of changing them inside the unit.

Is there a problem with air filter sitting inside the return or this is a common practice?

Thanks

common practice, the diagonal cut is to give more surface area for the filter.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Be glad, thats how it should be instead of taking the furnace panel off.
    Used to be like all the time, back in the day.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

thanks for your quick responses

If it's only one diagonal filter rather than a V configuration, you should have someone check the static pressure drop (resistance to airflow) across the filter. That diagonal scenario used by the old-timers LOOKS like it would work, but is actually extremely resistive to airflow. The bottom line is that the cross-sectional area of the duct still determines the filter resistance. I actually constructed some of these myself, and learned it the hard way on my own system.
    Let's say for example that you have a 12" high x 25" deep duct, and you put a 20" x 25" diagonal filter rack in it. You still have the SAME AIR VELOCITY moving through that 12" x 25" duct as you would have with a 12" x 25" vertical filter installed. And the velocity is what determines the pressure drop.
    That setup is fine as long as your system can get by with a filter that's the same dimensions as the return. But typically, this is not the case, because the filter needs a lot more cross-sectional area than the return.
    The only advantage to the diagonal filter is that it obviously has a higher dust holding capacity. But that's a moot point if it's WAY too restrictive when you put a brand new one in it, when it's undersized.

will post a picture so you guys can criticize. It’s hard to explain using word