I am contemplating a move from Residential/Commerical/ Refer, into Comm/Refer/Industrial. I am currently unchallenged in the Resi area and looking to move up the "food chain". Any thoughts would be welcome.

learn subcooling and superheat and refrigeration ciruits and whats actually going on in the system. ex. if you have high subcooling high superheat and low suction whats the problem. learn wiring diagrams really good. and if your going into industial ac then learn pnumatics, hotgasbypass, unloader operation, starters, stuff like that.

Commercial industrial puts you in a far more complex control world. My suggestion would be to get a SOLID understanding on electrical, refrigeration, and control theory.

When you really know what a start capacitor does to a compressor motor, how to connect a buck and boost transformer, and why it does what it does and can understand an enthalpy chart you will be well on your way.

Good luck in your progress in the trade. It has treated me well for 30 years.

Had the phone interview for this position of Refer apprentice. Found out it was supermarket systems and the like. Thought that it would a good move, then we talked money. Would have to take a $5.oo/hr paycut to learn this area. $14.00/hr is the best he could do!!!!! At this time I cannot take acut. Is this the only way to get into Refer work???????

industrial is far from residential. even if your the best residential tech it only means your a real good tech on simple systems residential is as simple as it gets.
    they all work the same.
    what you need to do is call all the mechanical contractors in your area and talk to them and see if any are willing to pay a little more. it will be easier than you think because theres just not a lot of people out there that can really do industrial work. there a lot trying. so theres probably a lot of companys willing to take a chance if they believe your willing and eager to study and learn.
    i did say study. a lot of people think you get a lot of training and that is just not the case unless your lucky enough to get one with a very large company. most of you good techs studied and learned. this is just not a trade where you can just go to work and not study to be good and knowledgeable because theres so much. ex. chillers, multizone systems, ind.refrigeration, pneumatics,controls, and such. good luck.

Originally posted by supertech 1234
    Had the phone interview for this position of Refer apprentice. Found out it was supermarket systems and the like. Thought that it would a good move, then we talked money. Would have to take a $5.oo/hr paycut to learn this area. $14.00/hr is the best he could do!!!!! At this time I cannot take acut. Is this the only way to get into Refer work???????
    I took a $9 cut 2 years ago to learn markets. Now I'm slightly above what I was at but I LOVE this work so much more. I'm getting more into EMS and that's where the $$$$ is here. There is just so much to absorb you'll never be done. Good move for me.

I also took a pay cut to start in this field.I was an IBEW journeyman doing controls for Honeywell and took a 17.00 an hour pay cut to be a 1st year apprentice service tech with the UA.It took 3 years but I finally got back to where I was and have easily surpassed the IBEW wage now with no fears of ever being out of work.

If you want to get the best pay in the area and the best training, not from the schools but from the guys you work with, join a commercial service company with AU trained journeymen. It was the smartest move I ever made career wise and my wife says the money isn't bad either. I'll let you know, if I ever see it.

Of course I mean UA. Fat finger aren't made for typing.

AC, I knew there was a reason you make the big bucks, LOL I got thrown out of an IBEW picnic once....does that count?

Yeah no803, that could be put toward your first year of trade school with the IBEW, LOL.It helps with the electrical troubleshooting knowing the theory, also doing controls for a few years didn't hurt either.I can bypass just about anything I need to.

i started in the ua apprenticeship program 4 years ago. i have completed 4 years of school and just started my 5th year. i started with my former company 6 years ago. they did mostly residential work. in the end i did most of the commerical work that company had. esp any ddc stuff.
    i have studied alot. any service manuals i could find i studied. any wiring diagrams i studied. i payed attention to my teachers and pick anyones brain i can find.
    in the begining of the summer i asked to be layed off. i was off for a nice one week vacation and got called up to a commerical/industrial. i love it. pnumatics, unloaders, window units ( kind of funny ) . i have gained a ton of experiance in the past 2 months. it is awsome up here at the top of the foodchain. most of all i have to say its a little more layed back than the highstrung residental work. i miss my old customers, but you usually have to lose a little to gain alot.

by the way i didnt have to take a paycut. thats one of the benifits of the UA.

Originally posted by supertech 1234
    You don't know a thing about them, but want your full rate to learn them??????? ALL unbillable time to your potential employer.

Your best bet will probably be to remain unchallenged and make money.

[Edited by condenseddave on 09-12-2004 at 02:20 PM]