Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble with A/C swapout

Post Likes
    Short a 1/2 pound?..sounds like "managing the downturn"...I bought a hamburger the other day and the tomato slice was the same size as the pickle...wish I would of taken a pic of it...

Post Likes
    A Nordyne undercharged? Ya that happens. Might be leaky service valves, they had some bad ones for awhile, as well as bad condensers, cracks in the return bends. Best to pull the gas, pressure test the condenser, pull a vacuum and WEIGH in the factory charge.

(Dont mind my comment, I missed an entire page)
    Last edited by Crazy4thenucks; 07-16-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Missed a page of reading

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4thenucks View Post
    A Nordyne undercharged? Ya that happens. Might be leaky service valves, they had some bad ones for awhile, as well as bad condensers, cracks in the return bends. Best to pull the gas, pressure test the condenser, pull a vacuum and WEIGH in the factory charge.
    That's interesting to hear that they had some issues, the guys at the supply house looked at me like I was speaking Greek. The unit has been fine through the weekend, I went back a couple days ago just for a follow up and everything still checked out. I checked for visible signs of leaks around the condenser, none found. If I have more problems I'll have to pump it down and check it out.

Thanks for all the help!

Post Likes
    The reason I like to see these trouble shooting posts left open on this forum is that it has by far the most traffic; therefore, more 'needy' Techs get to learn from what is discussed.

I've never seen much traffic in the Pro Forum, though it is a very good forum.

Way to go moderators...
    Last edited by udarrell; 07-16-2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Clarifications...

Post Likes
    Agree with Crazy4. As for the txv I would try to manipulate it with hot water soaked rag or glass off ice water.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catch2nd View Post
    Thank you for the reply!

Air flow seems fine, the blower is clean (direct drive) and I changed the filter, all dampers are open in the duct work with seemingly good flow out the supply grills.

I seem to think its undercharged also, just cannot understand why, if the unit was factory charged for 15ft and I have a 14ft line set with no fittings I shouldn't be adding refrigerant.

Anyone run into an undercharged unit from the factory? I usually install Lennox or Goodman, this is my first Nordyne. I also noticed very little rushing noise when opening the service valves...

I've seen a few brand new leakers from the factory. It's a possibility.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in