+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I get rid of this customer

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Dear Mr. Jones,
    I help people all the time and 99% of them appreciate it. Something you probably have no concept of. The other 1% will take advantage of it and that is what gets me mad. I guess i follow your own signature line. Maybe you should try that. I have more customers then i can handle and they pay my rate with no problems. Go figure. Maybe if you could put people before money you might understand this logic.
    Sincerely,
    VTP
    Why would you give away your services for less than what they are worth?
    It is this type devaluing which is a cancer that metastasizes.
    Mr. Jones is 100% correct in his effort to set the bar for our industry.
    Way too many bottom feeders out there diluting the worth of what we provide to our customers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    This sounds like something your customers would like a copy of. I think I'll make copies. Maybe even forward them to the florida licence board, so they know what you're doing to their customers, maybe they revoke your license, and you are left to advertising on craigslist without a license.

I'm not stalking you dude-just came across this post & couldn't help but point out the hipocracy of you.
    Here's a link to the thread I'm refering to if anyone's interested:
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....52#post7176452
    There is nothing illegal in what I charge a customer. If a customer doesn't pay on time or always wastes my time trying to haggle after the quoted job, I will include a PITA charge in the bill and if they end up going elsewhere-too bad-I have better things to do than chase after money I am owed.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    There is nothing illegal in what I charge a customer. If a customer doesn't pay on time or always wastes my time trying to haggle after the quoted job, I will include a PITA charge in the bill and if they end up going elsewhere-too bad-I have better things to do than chase after money I am owed.
    Don't know why you're quoting me, my post was meant for bwalley.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    This sounds like something your customers would like a copy of. I think I'll make copies. Maybe even forward them to the florida licence board, so they know what you're doing to their customers, maybe they revoke your license, and you are left to advertising on craigslist without a license.

I'm not stalking you dude-just came across this post & couldn't help but point out the hipocracy of you.
    Here's a link to the thread I'm refering to if anyone's interested:
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....52#post7176452
    As the owner of my company I am free to charge whatever I want to.

The licensing board or the state attorney does not get involved with pricing unless there is a named storm and then I can only charge what I previously charged for the exact same job in the past 30 days, and since no two jobs are exactly the same, I can charge whatever I want to.

If you think I am doing something wrong, report me to the DBPR(www.myfloridalicense.com), the Florida Attorney General (Bill McCollum) and the Hillsborough County State Attorney (Mark Ober)

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

What do you mean: "he's very tough about it" ?

I'm lost on that point. He calls, you go and fix the issue, you present the bill for doing the work that he asked you to do, and he's "tough" about not paying?

What does he say? Yeah well I'm not paying! ?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyDo View Post
    I don't know how I find them.

Customer has an old beer cooler. 3Phase compressor, twin 240v condenser fans. Came in a month ago and replaced a seized condenser fan motor. Told him this much $$$, He pisssed and moaned and talked me down. Calls a week or so later, same problem other motor locked-up. Replace motor and blade, I don't know how a blade breaks off?? Pissed and moaned about $$. Calls me last week, the first replacement motor doesn't work???
    Hmm? I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do. Can't just keep replacing motors?
    Things I noticed were that the whole unit is tucked into this opening 6feet tall by six wide 4feet deep. The fans just blow and blow into a cinder block wall. The rooms heat is unbearable. I thought this might be the issue. Also the fins on the condenser are so far bent that it could take an hour or more to straighten out. They must have repeatedly brushed against it for a while.
    Evaporator is filthy. 2 of the 12 motors need replaced.

How would you handle this. I place emphasis on the fact that he does not pay and he's very tough about it. I just wish he would stop calling me. Plus he is a good hours drive from my hood. I don't make any money with him and he has a variety of issues to address with this unit.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AirTechMech View Post
    Why would you give away your services for less than what they are worth?
    It is this type devaluing which is a cancer that metastasizes.
    Mr. Jones is 100% correct in his effort to set the bar for our industry.
    Way too many bottom feeders out there diluting the worth of what we provide to our customers.
    Who are you to say what my services are worth or anyone's for that matter. Also you think Mr.Jones should be the one to set the bar for the whole HVACR industry ? That is to funny. Should Maserati set the bar for the auto industry ? Think about it.

Post Likes
    You have been given a lot of good suggestions. Pick one that works for you and do it.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum" , Life is too short.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegitimi_non_carborundum
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyDo View Post
    I don't know how I find them.

Customer has an old beer cooler. 3Phase compressor, twin 240v condenser fans. Came in a month ago and replaced a seized condenser fan motor. Told him this much $$$, He pisssed and moaned and talked me down. Calls a week or so later, same problem other motor locked-up. Replace motor and blade, I don't know how a blade breaks off?? Pissed and moaned about $$. Calls me last week, the first replacement motor doesn't work???
    Hmm? I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do. Can't just keep replacing motors?
    Things I noticed were that the whole unit is tucked into this opening 6feet tall by six wide 4feet deep. The fans just blow and blow into a cinder block wall. The rooms heat is unbearable. I thought this might be the issue. Also the fins on the condenser are so far bent that it could take an hour or more to straighten out. They must have repeatedly brushed against it for a while.
    Evaporator is filthy. 2 of the 12 motors need replaced.

How would you handle this. I place emphasis on the fact that he does not pay and he's very tough about it. I just wish he would stop calling me. Plus he is a good hours drive from my hood. I don't make any money with him and he has a variety of issues to address with this unit.
    I am only a tech. But I have been dealing with what you described for 17 yrs. Walk around and look at the equipment/install very carefully. If something seems wrong, then it is (listen to the little voice in your head). If you touch it, you will own it for the rest of your life. Quote repairs accordingly (there are some things you can fudge but figure the last 4 companies that touched the unit had no idea what they were doing and everything was done wrong).
    Price and repair the unit so you do not have to F___ with it for a long time(meaning a quality repair). If the customer has a problem with the price, once again, go with your gut. If you think that you can do a this and a that without getting burnt, then say it.But if you think something is wrong, then it is. Don't be afraid to walk away, some things things are not worth the aggravation. You can save someones rear 99%of the time-that 1% will hurt you and they will forget about the 99%. Do not be afraid to tell the customer to go f___ himself. When the customer calls back and says you were right and I should have listened to you, that is a good feeling (keep in mind you gave the customer a price on fixing it right).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    Quote him the ENTIRE work to get the system cleaned and repaired. You already know what is needed so you shouldn't have to go back to do this. Expain to him that this is your price if he wants you to do the work. You are not obligated to "haggle" with him. Either he will except it or he will look for another company. I hope you told him when you did that first motor that the system needs more work and you cannot warranty a quick fix. Work to be done COD.
    Hate to quote myself but there seem to be alot of parrots on this thread !

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    Hate to quote myself but there seem to be alot of parrots on this thread !
    Maybe all the voices are in aggrement (be afraid). Maybe people from all around the country have the same opinion(be very afraid). Seriously, I read the post's and thought "been there, done that, know how you feel". "You have been given a lot of good suggestions. Pick one that works for you and do it.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum" , Life is too short."
    This is the best advice I have seen written on this thread (not saying the other advice was bad).

Post Likes

know when to walk away

all good advice, but knwing when to walk away aint always easy. already invested in the job i.e parts , material etc. they will say fix this i pay all then no diceyou stuck more now. as one said quote a quality job take or leave it . a wise old tech one told me once" if you got more than you can do, you aint charging enough"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in