Thread: Online courses

Question Online courses

Hello Everyone!!

I am currently a building engineer who is very eager to learn everything I can with regards to HVACR. I know enough now to compete with more than half the hacks that are out there but want to master this trade and get licensed. I have searched for an online course to enroll in but would really like to hear from some of you that have personal experience with any.
    Are there any accredited universities out there that you can either recommend to me or warn me to stay away.
    Your help is greatly appreciated.

I believe in self study. The Nate literature is a good starting point. As an Employer I don't trust the schools to turn out a good product. The schools provide credentials but my experience suggests that they pass almost anyone with a warm body. See the thread: Where did you learn 2B a tech?

NATE also certifies your level of achievement by testing.
    See: http://www.natex.org/
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

I think that thread must be locked to me as I am not able to pull anything up. I have applied for professional membership and I have enough posts maybe the commitee is swamped lately since we are going into season. Thank you for the link Lynn

The gist of the thread is that schooling is not enough and that you need both schooling and experience. If you can learn by reading, forget schooling. It is overrated.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Quote Originally Posted by Nowareazy View Post
    Hello Everyone!!

I am currently a building engineer who is very eager to learn everything I can with regards to HVACR. I know enough now to compete with more than half the hacks that are out there but want to master this trade and get licensed. I have searched for an online course to enroll in but would really like to hear from some of you that have personal experience with any.
    Are there any accredited universities out there that you can either recommend to me or warn me to stay away.
    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Are you wanting to become a licensed contractor or tech? Big difference.

Generally, I would suggest self study, like lynn. Modern air conditioning and refrigeration, trane manual, copeland refrigeration manual [you can find that on-line, one of the best, but you are going to have to really hunt for it] . Installation and operation manuals by manufacturer. Buy books and study them, not simply read them. Lots of books.

Manufacturers and suppliers have schools dedicated to specific items. That could be pneumatics, carrier vvt, or liebert units. Usually one week classes, and usually top-notch. A tad expensive, but you get what you pay for. Specific for your area of interest.

Formal schools are great, if possible. The money and time, if possible. I got the fundamentals at college, and probably would be washing cars or mowing lawns now if I had not had that education. It cost me dearly, but I got electric and mechanical in two trimesters. I did not graduate, or even try, the full 6 trimesters.

You may not want to hear this, but the best training is probably starting at the bottom for about 4 years in the field as a service tech after you have the previously mentioned education.

I am skeptical of any on-line course. I finished a 2 year hands-on vo-tech course as "outstanding student" in high school and I was still basically unemployable. I would not discourage either route, but advise you keep your expectations in check.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

I'd like to get my contractor's license. I will keep searching for good study guides and books as well as go online and search for the special one week classes that you mentioned. I am pretty hungry for knowledge and will continue to devote myself to knowing this trade. Thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Are you wanting to become a licensed contractor or tech? Big difference.

Generally, I would suggest self study, like lynn. Modern air conditioning and refrigeration, trane manual, copeland refrigeration manual [you can find that on-line, one of the best, but you are going to have to really hunt for it] . Installation and operation manuals by manufacturer. Buy books and study them, not simply read them. Lots of books.

Manufacturers and suppliers have schools dedicated to specific items. That could be pneumatics, carrier vvt, or liebert units. Usually one week classes, and usually top-notch. A tad expensive, but you get what you pay for. Specific for your area of interest.

Formal schools are great, if possible. The money and time, if possible. I got the fundamentals at college, and probably would be washing cars or mowing lawns now if I had not had that education. It cost me dearly, but I got electric and mechanical in two trimesters. I did not graduate, or even try, the full 6 trimesters.

You may not want to hear this, but the best training is probably starting at the bottom for about 4 years in the field as a service tech after you have the previously mentioned education.

I am skeptical of any on-line course. I finished a 2 year hands-on vo-tech course as "outstanding student" in high school and I was still basically unemployable. I would not discourage either route, but advise you keep your expectations in check.
    I just ordered: (Carrier System Design Manual 12 Volume Set & Exam Prep)
    I am still looking for Copeland refrigeration manual. Thanks again.

I haven't been able to find any one week specialized classes offered by the manufatures but will keep looking.

If anyone else has to share I'm all ears!!