Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I remember

I remember

I remember driving a ford three on the tree with holes so big i had to stuff shop rags in them to get any heat.
    No A/C in any service truck.
    No radio or just a crappy AM radio, if you wanted a radio you popped some tin together and fabbed your own to screw to the roof above your head.
    Speakers were whatever you found and could mount in your truck.

Buying a set of gages made me excited and my first fluke 87 cost 350 dollars and took months to pay off with a little bit at a time taken out of my check.

Building shelves out of unistrut and plywood
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

I remember

I remember when I was a kid, we were so poor, my folks cut holes in our pockets so we'd have something to ............

I remember..........................shucks.......... ........I forgot........

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    I remember driving a ford three on the tree with holes so big i had to stuff shop rags in them to get any heat.
    No A/C in any service truck.
    No radio or just a crappy AM radio, if you wanted a radio you popped some tin together and fabbed your own to screw to the roof above your head.
    Speakers were whatever you found and could mount in your truck.

Buying a set of gages made me excited and my first fluke 87 cost 350 dollars and took months to pay off with a little bit at a time taken out of my check.

Building shelves out of unistrut and plywood
    u just described my fist service van...9 yrs ago i was issued that thing. Some lady T-boned me, It only had a slight scratch from her..but the front was crushed because i hit a pole. Walked away wile she went to the hospital.

My first car was a 1936 ford ,3 on the floor.,mech.brakes & hand operated windshield wipers.

I remember using gunny sacks and roofing tar to patch holes in the floorboard so the dust wouldn't choke you out on a dirt road.

I had a 49 ford that i knocked so many tranny`s out that i finaly cut the floor boards out so it was easyer to pull them & fix.
    I could drive & piss at the same time.

I could put a new clutch in my '50' chevy in an hour. Had some threaded rods that you could slide the transmission back on, and never remove it. Hated that darned enclosed driveline tho,,,,,,, 54 running gear
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

John Culpepper is online now CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS Professional Member*
    Heck, I still drive a three in the tree. Been thinking about putting it on the floor though.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

I owned an old ford pickup. Couldn't afford anything new or even less used. I put 3 junk yard transmissions in that truck in about a year. I got good at swapping transmissions.

As I kid I remember my dad's old farm truck. The column shifter went bad so he converted it to a floor shift. The floor shift went bad so he removed it. I learned to drive by using a tire iron to manually move the shift linkage through a hole in the floorboard.

I think those experiences are important. Without remembering how we survived when we were first married, we wouldn't appreciate what we have now.
    Last edited by maintenanceguy; 07-11-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

John Culpepper is online now CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS Professional Member*
    Quote Originally Posted by maintenanceguy View Post
    I owned an old ford pickup. Couldn't afford anything new or even less used. I put 3 junk yard transmissions in that truck in about a year. I got good at swapping transmissions.

As I kid I remember my dad's old farm truck. The column shifter went bad so he converted it to a floor shift. The floor shift went bad so he removed it. I learned to drive by using a tire iron to manually move the shift linkage through a hole in the floorboard.
    Damn.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

I was just thinking about how the younger guys have it so differently than we did.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

My old 49 ford didn`t have a front seat so i screwed down a wooden milk crate for a driver seat. Worked great.

I had a 47 cad that i modified the trunk to hide a 10 gal. wine barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast