+ Reply to Thread

Thread: f150 overheating. Fan clutch?

Post Likes

f150 overheating. Fan clutch?

Only starts getting hot when in idle-parked/light or drive thru. Does okay when on the highway.

Fan can spin a quarter turn or more if you reach in and give it a whirl, same whether the engine is hot or cold. No grinding or anything like that.

All else I can think of is the thermostat or air blockage. Not the latter from looking, and the former seems unlikely based on my GM experiences.

triton v8, 97 model. Any ideas to save me a road-side repair day?
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    when's the last time you replaced the anti-freeze?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes

sounds like...

sounds like 1 of 2 things: first one being the system is low on coolant. second - fan clutch slipping too much. when you rev the engine up, do you feel lots of air being pulled through the radiator by the fan?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    when's the last time you replaced the anti-freeze?
    Over 6 years... Sealed system I figure. I did not even check the reservoir level or anything. This problem seemed to just pop-up all of a sudden, I don;t think it was running hot before this. I have dial gauges on the dash, not just lights.

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

Post Likes
    test/change your anti-freeze..do you have a tester? it doesn't last forever
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Airflow problem, check between the condensor and radiator Chaff and crud can accumulate between them and restrict flow. Spin the fan on a another truck and compare the drag.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by badbillr View Post
    sounds like 1 of 2 things: first one being the system is low on coolant. second - fan clutch slipping too much. when you rev the engine up, do you feel lots of air being pulled through the radiator by the fan?
    Thanks tinner and badbill! I went out and checked the Afreeze and the reservoir is dry as a bone. No radiator cap, just the reservoir thing.

Me and my head gaskets thank you very much!

Post Likes

get one of these..you're welcome.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post

get one of these..you're welcome.
    Good advice, taken and thanks guys.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in