+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Supply location & model lookup

Post Likes

Supply location & model lookup

Hello all!

Used this form a couple years ago when installing a new system and was a tremendous help! Many thanks!

Last time I posted, we lived in Georgia and now we are in North Texas. So I have a thread to post with two questions:

1) We are building a new house (who-hoo!), but I noticed the supplies are not located near the windows. In last two houses, all the supplies were very near the windows and I was told that is to help prevent dead or hot/cold spots near the window.

The hvac sub just put in supply grills yesterday and all of the supplies are rather far away from the windows. For example, in the family room there are two supplies in a 20x20 room that has 5 windows. The supplies are about 15 feet from the windows.

What caught my attention is there are returns (at my request) in the bedrooms; however, the supplies are about 1 foot away. I had heard you need to put your supply in the furthest part of the room away from the door and then put the return near the door (once again to not create dead space)

What is the current thinking on this (where supplies go)?

2) How can I look up model numbers on blower, dampers, etc.? Suppose to have an Infinity zoned system going in, but do not see any mention of Infinity on the equipment.

Thanks!
    Last edited by pablontx; 07-10-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: better title to help searching

Post Likes
    Is the thermostat an Infinity?

Do the supplies throw air directly at the returns.

Post Likes
    I rough in many new homes in new england and I always blanket the exterior walls with hot or cold air and return in a central part of the home or the inside corners of rooms. Also in the bedrooms on the second floor I put the supply registers over the windows and the returns over the doorway.It also makes the returns less noticable

Post Likes
    The returns should be as far away from the supply as possible.Do you want to suck the air you just blew out right away or do you want to circulate as best as you can? That's common sense!!

Post Likes
    A supply on the same wall as the return. Works as well, and sometimes netter, then if its far a way.

Post Likes
    Have not seen the contoller yet, but it should be an Infinity. The outside unit, the blower, the dampers and the controller should all be Infinity. What I read on here is the importance of a system so made sure to tell the builder wanted it all Infiniti vs. this piece honeywell that piece....etc.

Post Likes
    As long as the supply registers are good quality curved blade type, and there is a high enough air velocity out of the register, it will throw the air to the exterior walls. This type of setup promotes better air mixing in the room in the cooling mode than having the outlets all the way out at the window.
    It also tends to make for shorter ducts, thus less duct surface area exposed to the attic heat.

Unfortunately, most RNC contractors put in cheap stamped face 3 way grills, that basically just dump the air in the middle of the room, in every supply outlet, with no attention paid to what the throws need to be.

The return being near the supply isn't a problem if it is not in the path of the supply registers throw.

That type of supply outlet placement is somewhat less than ideal for heating, but in a heavily cooling dominant climate, I'd rather have things optimized for cooling, and take what I get for heating.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    As long as the supply registers are good quality curved blade type, and there is a high enough air velocity out of the register, it will throw the air to the exterior walls. This type of setup promotes better air mixing in the room in the cooling mode than having the outlets all the way out at the window.
    It also tends to make for shorter ducts, thus less duct surface area exposed to the attic heat.

Unfortunately, most RNC contractors put in cheap stamped face 3 way grills, that basically just dump the air in the middle of the room, in every supply outlet, with no attention paid to what the throws need to be.

The return being near the supply isn't a problem if it is not in the path of the supply registers throw.

That type of supply outlet placement is somewhat less than ideal for heating, but in a heavily cooling dominant climate, I'd rather have things optimized for cooling, and take what I get for heating.
    I agree with take what you get for heating but in new england if you put all of you supplys on the inside walls you will not heat properly.I usually will use three way diffusers and put them on the inside wall for straight A/C jobs but for new cons heating and coolingI always coat the perimeter with conditioned air and I don't care what blades you have or what type of diffuser you use te returns should be at least four feet away from supplys.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Air Movers View Post
    I agree with take what you get for heating but in new england if you put all of you supplys on the inside walls you will not heat properly.
    Absolutely, which is why the ACCA manuals have different recommendations for supply outlet locations in heating dominant areas.

The OP did say he was building a new house in North Texas.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in