Thread: disposal of old equipment

Post Likes
    hey guys help me out.i do hvac work for the usps and on one job involved disposing of an air handler with 10 pounds of r-22.since they dont want to be bothered keeping records for refrigerant use and disposal anything involving refrigerants we now contract out.I tried to tell them before we dispose of any equipment it must recovered down to atmospheric pressure and they thought i was just making waves.turns out the unit empty and my supervisor gives me a smirk and i told him it doesn't matter it still has to be certified and tagged as so and i received a sceptical look. am i right or wrong?just fyi i am a certified technician but i told them i am not going to use my recovery unit that if they want me to certify it buy one and we'll register it with the EPA and them i"ll certify it. thanks in advance for the info

Post Likes
    If USPS is hiring a company to dispose of the unit in question. Then the HVAC contractor doing the disposal should be responsible for the evac. not you if you work for USPS.

Post Likes

disposal

i was responsible for removing the equipment. i just wanted a certification that the unit was either recovered or empty.i know even though i"m certified i cant tag it without a recovery unit registered with the epa

Post Likes
    Dman1
    I have came across the same problem, But here in west texas they have froen bank system! long srory short i have found this product called ez one shot! you pay 50$ for the 30 lb box/ cyclinder you use your recovery system the you pay another 50$ for disposale.... you don't even take it out of the box. check out robert madden that where i got mine and sent it back and they took care of it all.....

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Here in S. Oregon we not only have to reclaim the refrigerant, but also the compressor oil. Then a certification sticker is applied to the unit. The local recycler will only accept them this way.

Of course we strip all the copper and coils out of them and sell it to the metal recycler. Makes for alot of golf money!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in