Study Contradicts Cheney-Bush Claim of Undue Limits on Western Oil, Gas Drilling

A new study of federal land records finds no evidence for the Bush administration's insistent claims that restrictions on access to U.S. public lands have hampered oil and gas development and led to greater dependence on foreign oil.

In a town meeting in Arkansas on August 3, Vice President Cheney asserted again "we’ve taken large chunks of the country and put it off limits to any kind of exploration or development...large parts of the Rocky Mountain West are off limits." Cheney blamed this alleged lack of access for the fact that "we aren't producing [oil and gas] here at home".

An extensive investigation by the EWG (EWG) found Cheney's assertion to be little more than myth. "The west has been wide open to the oil and gas industry for the last 22 years," Dusty Horwitt, one of the lead authors, said. "The rhetoric" about lack of access is just an attempt to open especially sensitive lands to friends of the administration."

The EWG study reports that oil and gas interests poured over $75 million into political campaigns, of which 79% went to Republicans. The Bush effort will do little to make the U.S. less vulnerable to foreign energy producers. But, noted Horwitt, it will line the pockets of the oil and gas industries.

Hey pinhead

What about Alaska. Where the deer and the liberal play and want kept off limits to exploration!

john, just some advice.....

Put down the crackpipe and walk away.........

John you forget that even when lands are technically open for development, they effectively aren't due to horrendous red tape imposed by the EPA. For example, it is perfectly legal to build power plants and refineries in California yet how many have actually gone up in the last couple decades? We have a power crisis out here because we've built so few. I believe it was less than half a dozen plants were built in the last couple decades in a time when Texas built thirty some odd plants. The same goes for refining. Our high gas prices have as much to do with a lack of refining capacity as it does high crude prices.

Rob is right about Alaska. It's off limits. The leftists have lied through their teeth portraying it as some sort of pristine wilderness that would get covered in muck if it was developed. The reality is that the areas they want to drill in are frozen wastelands for the most part. Furthermore, the wildlife tends to LIKE the development. It's old news now that the reindeer population LIKED the Alaskan pipeline because it's warm and they're cold!

Originally posted by Irascible
    John you forget that even when lands are technically open for development, they effectively aren't due to horrendous red tape imposed by the EPA. For example, it is perfectly legal to build power plants and refineries in California yet how many have actually gone up in the last couple decades? We have a power crisis out here because we've built so few. I believe it was less than half a dozen plants were built in the last couple decades in a time when Texas built thirty some odd plants. The same goes for refining. Our high gas prices have as much to do with a lack of refining capacity as it does high crude prices.

Rob is right about Alaska. It's off limits. The leftists have lied through their teeth portraying it as some sort of pristine wilderness that would get covered in muck if it was developed. The reality is that the areas they want to drill in are frozen wastelands for the most part. Furthermore, the wildlife tends to LIKE the development. It's old news now that the reindeer population LIKED the Alaskan pipeline because it's warm and they're cold!
    I wonder how that warm oil from that pipeline tastes to those reindeer? Do they LIKE the taste? I'll bet it's real good for them. It's also old news that development like the shrub wants rapes and pillages the environment which scars the land so bad that it can never be put back the same. Hmmm, lets see. On one hand I've got a beautiful, pristine and undeveloped paradise for nature. Sounds good.
    On the other hand I've got noise, air and water polution destroying that once pristine land. Sounds bad.

Ignore the facts if you wish. Reindeer populations have increased because of the pipeline whether you choose to believe or not. The land was not raped in the process. American and western European libs have no clue what a raped land is. Visit the lands of the former Soviet Union and even Africa. That's where you'll find real environmental disasters. We have spent trillions keeping our lands clean. We can only do so because our economy is wealthy - which is so because of capitalism. You libs want to snuff the very thing that enables us to afford your boondoggle regulations.

OK then lets pillage and rape Iraq as we

Originally posted by motorboy1
    Originally posted by Irascible

I wonder how that warm oil from that pipeline tastes to those reindeer? Do they LIKE the taste? I'll bet it's real good for them. It's also old news that development like the shrub wants rapes and pillages the environment which scars the land so bad that it can never be put back the same. Hmmm, lets see. On one hand I've got a beautiful, pristine and undeveloped paradise for nature. Sounds good.
    On the other hand I've got noise, air and water polution destroying that once pristine land. Sounds bad.
    Take the oil.

I wonder how that warm oil from that pipeline tastes to those reindeer?
    It's reinforced pipe built to withstand earthquakes.... How, exactly, are the deer drinking from it?

Originally posted by mjr

It's reinforced pipe built to withstand earthquakes.... How, exactly, are the deer drinking from it?
    I suppose you think a drop has never been splilt in the process of repairs or such, huh? I know the deer aren't drinking the oil from a fountain - the point I was trying to make is no matter how little the pollution it's still too much.

the point I was trying to make is no matter how little the pollution it's still too much.
    Do you drive?

Ticks me off-we could dang near nullify our dependence on foreign oil but theres spotted owls in this area,a rare 3 legged freckled squirrel in this area,etc.Who cares!Really?We are an industrialized nation,we supply food,resourses to the world,and are innovators-we need fuel,oil,etc.Why not tap Alaska?It belongs to the good old U S of A doesnt it?We bought and paid for it.Did Saudi Arabia and Iraq have left wing fundamentilists saying"no no no,u cant drill here-its home to sand chiggers,or u cant drill there-the red spotted rattle snake makes its home there".Baloney-they drilled it.So take your left wing garbage and bud out.

Originally posted by mjr

I suppose you think a drop has never been splilt in the process of repairs or such, huh? I know the deer aren't drinking the oil from a fountain - the point I was trying to make is no matter how little the pollution it's still too much.
    ================================================== =========

Motor, sounds like you've never been around anything that handles crude. Heck, I bet you think milk comes from a milk man.

Point is, today great pains are taken to protect the environment from such things as spills. You should check it out sometime so you don't sound like such an idiot.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club