Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    Maybe some people just ain't never had a "brother can you spare a dime" moment. I give up on the subject.

Helping people out is important, just because times are tough does not give the guy a free pass on complying with licensing laws.

If he doesn't have a contractors license, do you think he has workers comp and liability insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    Charity is great, I help people out quite often, I have fixed peoples A/C when they didn't have the money to pay for it.

I also have employyes that rely on me for their income, when a guy takes work away from legitimate contractors like me, it not only takes money out of my pocket, but it also takes money out of my employees pockets as well.

It's a free market economy. Nothing is handed to you. You are not guaranteed the work. You must earn it. The fella isn't stealing anything from you. Just giving you incentive to get better at what you do and maybe pushing you towards getting your name out there more.
    EnergyTight | Solutions for Comfort and Savings

Quote Originally Posted by matttaylorsui View Post
    It's a free market economy. Nothing is handed to you. You are not guaranteed the work. You must earn it. The fella isn't stealing anything from you. Just giving you incentive to get better at what you do and maybe pushing you towards getting your name out there more.
    It is a free market economy, but to compete in certain fields, you must be licensed.

Thats OK I will drop a dime on the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    It is a free market economy, but to compete in certain fields, you must be licensed.

Absolutly, maybe they will lock him up so his family will be out on the street or on welfare,,,the nerve of some people trying to work.
    Walley, if hes driving his company truck he falls under their license and insurance,,,,dont think so,,,,,,,have an employee wreck your truck on a side job and see who they come after.
    Leave the guy alone before the karma monster pays you a visit,,,,,,,,unless you really feel he could hurt your business in which case he would have to be repeating the name Florida every other post and quoating business law, neither of which impress.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Thank you everone for your input. I can see this is a sensitive subject; I have empathy for people that are struggling to make ends meet in this economy however the law is still the law and we all must abide by it.
    Maybe as Tipsrfine suggested somebody should offer him a job first, in good spirit it might warrant contacting the guy first to recon his situation and make him aware of his position. Who knows maybe he does think he's doing it legit.
    After being made aware of the possible ramifications of his actions if he doesn't withdraw his ads, then drop the hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by AlJen View Post
    however the law is still the law and we all must abide by it.
    Does this apply to the speed limit also? If so you have gone from preaching to meddling.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post

Why not just arrange a meet & greet with the guy & tell him to his face that you' ve decided to stop him from being able to make his mortgage & he has to tell his wife & kids they have to leave their home. Mr. bwalley, you do not strike me as a decent human being. The fact that you use a statement such as "drop a dime" on someone indicates your character and quite probably your past. I have a low opinion of you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by matttaylorsui View Post
    Sorry, but anyone that is advertising 1/2 price and not abiding by the same laws I have to stay in business is stealing. I have a mortgage like everyone else, and am following every law to feed my family.

If he did a $200 repair for $100 1. he just lowered the market price 2. If I had to match the price to get the work, he just illegally took $100 from my family. (well not 100, since I pay for insurance, licenses, continuing ed, truck, phones, website, health insurance, business property tax, and all the other taxes I pay to run a legal free market business.L

If you are going to be in business, then be in business. If not, stay the hell out of the market. You want to do a freebie for your neighbor...go ahead. You advertise "illegal" cheap prices, you deserve to get turned in. I really hate people taking "food off my table for beer money"
    Last edited by beshvac; 07-10-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Quote Originally Posted by AlJen View Post
    Hey all,

I ran across this posting on Craigslist the other day, thought I would ask for some opinions on this type of ad. Personally I'm all for making money but there's a right way and a wrong way and I believe this guy is wrong for posting this.

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/sks/1797539519.html
    How can the company that this guy works for be slow?

Must be a very dishonest company.

I have been in overtime for the past 2 months. And the company is only 2 years old.

I could use a day off.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Everyone is assuming his add tells the truth.....

1. There is no company that would allow the liability risk for their materials, truck, or license, and if they do then maybe the reason they are "slow" is because they are stupid.
    2. Maybe he is just looking for sidework and came up with that sob story...go to admit its a good marketing idea.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast