Thread: York YCAS Screw

Any of you guys had a problem getting the pressure off the York YCAS screw compressor to change the oil filter??
    If I recall correctly, you should be able to valve off the compressor and remove the pressure through the shrader port on the oil filter cover.
    Well our tech says this ain't working. Looks like the service and/or check valves are not holding.
    The York YCAS two volume service manual has very little info on compressor service.
    I would appreciate any words of wisdom.
    Thanks

It works as you stated...But unless you pump the compressor down with a transfer using a legal transfer unit of course,, You will get a tremendous amount of Oil & Refrigerant out thru the schraeder valve.
    If you remove the oil charge from the oil seperator, about 3 gallons or so in a single seperator, you will need about 4 Five gallon buckets to catch this foaming brew...
    After a whil;e when the entrained rfefrigerant has boiled off, you will end up with a total amount of about 3 gallons of oil...
    On the Lil' YCAS compressor, if you fail to pump the compressor down to atmospheric pressure, you will need at least 2 Five gallon buckets to catch the foaming brew...
    Whatever amount of oil you just lost, should be replaced or the Oil Seperator oil level will be low on oil....
    That's "York L" Oil if memory serves me...(300Vis. Sunoco or whatever).
    Putting it in on a cold day you almost need a grease gun..
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Wink YCAS screw

Hello Tech,
    You said U valved off the compressor - U did't say anything about the ball valve to the oil line? that would be 3 total - I hve had the suction king valve to be scared and won't seat if this is the case then pump down the usual way by closing the liquid vale then after compressor shuts off close discharge valve and oil feed valve and use pump out unit to finish!!!!

yes type L oil (poe) and yes close oil service valve also.

If your really slick you can pump out into the system .
    is this really happening or not

Thanks Guys,
    Yes, all valves were closed. Our tech said he pumped out about 8 or 10 lbs. refr. Pressure not coming down.
    Could have been a lot of oil in mixture.
    I'll let you know the outcome.

Well it looks like the service valves are not holding.
    Bummer!
    We had no problems changing the filter on another one.