Thread: Online Classes

Question

Any body hear of Thomson Education Direct ?
    They have a HVAC Tech course. Work at your own pace 6 months to 2 years. $650 bucks with a payment plan

http://www.educationdirect.com

I'm recieving OJT with a guy who used to teach school in Detroit 15 + years ago. He says i'm a good learner. For the price is the paper diploma Worth anything?

Hire Me....

Benny

Originally posted by bennyapprentice
    Any body hear of Thomson Education Direct ?
    They have a HVAC Tech course. Work at your own pace 6 months to 2 years. $650 bucks with a payment plan

http://www.educationdirect.com

I'm recieving OJT with a guy who used to teach school in Detroit 15 + years ago. He says i'm a good learner. For the price is the paper diploma Worth anything?

I read the whole ad. What does the guy that you work with think about it. You said you are working with an ex teacher. I am assuming HVAC teacher.

This course combined with OJT might be worthwhile if you can't afford to go to a regular trade school.

When ever you go into an interview with legitimate paper from a school it is diffinately worth it. An associates degree is harder to get so therefore it is worth more than a certificate from a trade school.

On line learning isn't a piece of cake. I took a college course, on-line, and you had to really push yourself to keep up.
    That is one thing I don't like about the course you are considering. It lets you learn at your own pace. That ain't it is in the real world. So if you aren't pressed to get your assignments in at a dead line then you tend to put them off.

Plus it said that you get hands on training. How do they do that over a computer? I would for an explanation on that statement. Good luck. I hope this pans out for you. Let us know what happens.

[Edited by benncool on 08-24-2004 at 11:15 PM]

Hey benny,

I'm taking that Education Direct HVAC course right now.
    I've completed 6 lessons so far, and from my judgement it seems like a well written course. The lesson books on electricity are excellent. One drawback - all the lesson books (so far) are printed in black & white, no color. Somewhere after lesson 6 they send you the textbook Refrigeration and Airconditioing technology, by Whitman & Johnson. Many of the assignments will have you read the text book, then answer quizes prepared by Education Direct. If the remainder of the program consists of this, then the question is: why take the program, just buy the text book. You also get video tapes, which are mailed at the end of the course. Time will tell how good this course really is.
    I'll keep you posted.

Carrier has an extensive collection of training material. They also offer a home study program you might want to check out. I have a few lesson books from Carrier, and they are all top-notch. http://www.training.carrier.com

Cheers,
    Ken

thanks

I already got the first lesson done. 93% (missed only 1)

The chiller in the next book kinda confused me . I've never seen or worked on one yet. But tim (a guy that works with me)walked me though it.

Thanks lemme know how it does.
    Hire Me....

Benny