Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Not looking real good for the bearing, Have a few pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by pringlel View Post
    Once the machine has been fed enough oil and reset enough times the babbit smears into the oil galleries and you have oil pres. again you have a real problem.

I have seen shafts cut down 1\2 deep and the machine keeps spinning.

Considering the age and other issues, how does the customer feel about a new machine? Or maybe a newer used machine?

On a positive note - The thrust face dosen't appear too bad off (ha). Have you pulled the other bearing yet?

Based on what you have reported and what I am seeing, I am going to go with oil dilution!

Crazy question, was oil supply gally on outer race installed in the correct position, on last rebuild? Does it have dowel pin? I guess surely it does to keep outer race from spinning. Sorry I don't have a teardown of this machine either.

OHHHH! and he wipes the bearing! this chiller is toast!

well maybe.

how deep are the labrynth seal grooves? do they wipe off? mic that journal yet?
    When I am late for work, I usually make up for it by leaving early.

Quote Originally Posted by cperk View Post
    Crazy question, was oil supply gally on outer race installed in the correct position, on last rebuild? Does it have dowel pin? I guess surely it does to keep outer race from spinning. Sorry I don't have a teardown of this machine either.
    The oil ports on the bearings where at 3 and 9 o clock, The bearing is bolted in preventing it from moving.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    OHHHH! and he wipes the bearing! this chiller is toast!

well maybe.

how deep are the labrynth seal grooves? do they wipe off? mic that journal yet?
    Jay I may not get a chance to check it , looks like we are submitting a price to rebuild it with new seals. A motor company is coming out to check the shaft out. It was all stop work even before i got the bearing out, but my hearing is starting to fail the older i get

The oil ports on the bearings where at 3 and 9 o clock, The bearing is bolted in preventing it from moving.
    O.K. good pic.

Nice pics man. I've got a couple of grinders that I try to work on once in a while. Neat little machines. Tried to get info from local trane got me a 17 page manual on how to change the oil and crap. Good stuff.
    I know it's a dead horse and i'm new but the way this thread started off was crappy. I'm new to the chiller world(2 1/2) years with JCI, with 8 years in the trade before that, and 8 years in the car bussiness before that. I've always tried to go out of my way to help a guy with the hope that if I need something that he'll be there for me. There was always that guy though that when you ask for help you get that kind of answer. I've always thought of that as a generation thing. I don't know just me. Sorry to butt in.

oops

allchlrstech,

Can you or anyone else on this site, please send me a copy of the service manual for a PVC chiller. My email is in my profile

Thank you, Chet

Quote Originally Posted by allchlrstech View Post
    check your email, I sent you the ctv-sg-1 cvhb/a servce guide.
    sorry it took so long.
    Life is too short not to enjoy life to the fullest - Don't be bogged down dealing with difficult people -who try to inflict their problems in life onto you or other good people...

"Instead return the mutual respect to the good people who respect you - Forget about the one's who won't" .....what Chet lives by.....

Sindwinders can be a little tricky to teardown and put back together properly. In my early days at Trane I tore down quite a few, but I had the advantage of working with someone who knew what they were doing. If you have never torn down a sidewinder I would advise not doing so.

If it is truly locked up than likely the machine has encountered a major bearing failure and has major impeller/rotor damage. Fixing a sidewinder with these problems would be cost-prohibitive given the age ofthe machine.

Edit: Got lost on the thread length. Good luck now that you're in it

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567