+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: low loss adapter

Post Likes

low loss adapter

need help with finding a low loss fitting for the high side of my gauges. the manifold i bought did not come with low loss fittings on the hoses so i need an adapter. teacher told us we could find them for $10-$15 but so far all I see online is $40-$50. anyone know a good place to find this piece? thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

get a set of ball valves !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!http://www.yellowjacket.com/HVACRPro...&l=3&c=19&p=70
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

3. Likes tmt, Fender60 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    these

Post Likes
    I agree with ST.

I've used low loss fittings for years, and always silently cussed them when they leaked, blew out an o-ring or wouldn't flow or wouldn't depress the schraeder, or when the internals came loose and they wouldn't turn.

Need I go on?

My next set of hoses will be a set with ball valve ends.

6. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I agree with the ball valves, I used the low loss fittings for the 1st few years (didn't know better), but now I rarely ever use em.

I have a couple in my van still, hardly ever use them though.

I also have a couple of these too, and man these lil things are handy!
    Part #A33500
    http://www.jbind.com/catalog/Page_41...07_catalog.pdf
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

8. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Those Yellow Jacket hoses with the ball valves permanently attached are pretty pricey. Has anyone had luck with the Yellow Jacket ball valves that just attach to your existing hoses?

Post Likes
    I have ball valves installed on my manifold and I carry 1/4" flare ball valves in my bag.

They are YJs and they are quite reliable.

Had one give me quite a shock the other day. I put it away closed, pulled it back out some time later, opened it and got a shot of liquid refrigerant.

Post Likes
    Same here. Get the YJ valves. I only use one on the liquid/high hose. Easy to dump the liquid hose back into the Low side through the gauges (and not dump 2 or 3 Oz. of gas to atmosphere).
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Post Likes
    Yellow jacket make 6" adaptors that go on the end of your current hoses. I llike them better than the hoses with the valves built in. The reason for this is I have had a problem with the valves leaking under a vacuum, you don't notice it under pressure. If the valves are built into the hoses and start leaking under vacuum you can't pull a deep enough vacuum. With the extentions if they start leaking under vacuum, you can remove the extentions when you pull a vacuum and then reinstall after the vacuum is braoken.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=kls-ccc;7148732]Yellow jacket make 6" adaptors that go on the end of your current hoses. [QUOTE]

Are these universal for any hoses regardless of if the manifold is for 22 or 410?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    Yellow jacket make 6" adaptors that go on the end of your current hoses.
    Are these universal for any hoses regardless of if the manifold is for 22 or 410?

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=adamste81;7149692][QUOTE=kls-ccc;7148732]Yellow jacket make 6" adaptors that go on the end of your current hoses.

Yes to the best of my knowledge.

Post Likes
    The problem with the YJ 6" hoses with ball valves is that the hose is permanently connected to the ball valve.
    There is no way to purge the air out of the 6" hose, so you have to purge the entire hose back to the manifold to get the air out.

NRP makes a kit that has three 6" hoses and ball valves with standard 1/4" flare hose fittings. Using them, if you keep a little pressure in your manifold and hoses all the time, all you have to do when you hook up to a system is purge the air out of the short 6" hoses.
    Even with that setup, I still use a low loss fitting on my high side hose.
    I've been using NRP low loss fittings for a number of years and haven't had anywhere near the problems with them I used to have with the YJ fittings.

I don't like the hoses with ball valves made onto the end because there are a lot of systems out there that you would need additional adapters to connect to, due to the position of the service valves.

Also, YJ PlusII charging hoses are garbage...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    Those Yellow Jacket hoses with the ball valves permanently attached are pretty pricey. Has anyone had luck with the Yellow Jacket ball valves that just attach to your existing hoses?
    Yes
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Post Likes
    I always keep the suction pressure from the last sytem I worked on in my hoses and manifold; I drain the high side back into the system through the low side so whatever that pressure is stays in the gauges.

As far as bleding the 6" extension, I use valve core depressors a lot of the time, so when I attach the hose to the depressor I can bled some of the pressure from the gauges at the depressor. This also saves freon burns in those tight places.

Post Likes
    I don't have half the experience of many of you, but I actually use NRP low loss fittings and YJ ball valves. I trust the ball valves a lot more. I read somewhere that someone didn't recommend leaving your manifold full of gas. It slowly stresses out the hoses or something.

Post Likes
    the ball valves you put at the end are greattt

like someone said earlier
    you can, purge/bleed right to that point!!
    very nice

Post Likes
    I have an assortment of ball valves, low-loss fittings, adapters, etc. and it seems like the yellow jacket ball valves are the ones I consistently go for.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    rob

i almost did not recognize your avatar??

ddc controller because the display is not on it!!!

when you install one do not forget to calibrate it!!!!

what happened to your seasons 4 unit avatar??

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    I have an assortment of ball valves, low-loss fittings, adapters, etc. and it seems like the yellow jacket ball valves are the ones I consistently go for.

Post Likes
    It's a Mcquay Microtech 200 controller - they don't need calibration!!!!

I thought you were mad at me because I work for the big non-union meatball now!!!

lol
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in